300m: What is small "air-box" between air filter and engine?

My '00 300m has a largish air intake box mounted over the battery (where the air filter is located) and a large 3" diameter corragated rubber hose running from this box to the engine manifold. But mid-way along this large hose is a smaller 1 or 1.5" side port that is connected to a smaller, irregularly-shaped plastic box - same color and type of construction as the air-intake box.

There are no ports or any sort of connections to this smaller box, and it looks molded in one piece (so I can't take it apart).

I can't figure out what the purpose of this box is, unless it's for some sort of esoteric function like impedance matching or resonance damping.

Anyone know?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Yes, that's exactly what it is. The FSM refers to it as the "air inlet resonator".

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Ah, ok.

Doing some web-searching on that term comes up with dozens of hits about REMOVING the thing, or about Ford Shelby resonator eliminator kits, but practically nothing about what it does.

I did find this:

"It's purpose is to alleviate the loud sucking noise that would otherwise occur when the throttle body is sucking in air."

Hmmm.

Do a lot of cars have this?

Reply to
MoPar Man

You do get that loud sucking sound from your Billfold when you purchase many of these vehicles.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

It might be akin to what some owners of the 440 Magnum used to do: flip over the top of the air cleaner, which bypassed the noise-reduction of the snorkels. Made the 440 really ROAR when you floored it.

Most undignified for owners of overpolite, emasculated, "refined" cars like Lexus.

Reply to
GP49

Though, of course, the stated intent was to bypass the flow restriction in the snorkels.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer