86 Caravan Ignition Lock Replacement

Help. I am replacing lock - tore out all the stuff in the steering wheel column area, and see one retaining button on the lockset. There must be another one, because I cannot get the unit out by pressing only this retainer and pulling sideways on the outer silver part. Chilton manual says push the spring-loaded retainers, like there is more than one. But does not say where. Any ideas? Would presume this same design is used on many K and other models in this era. Any help appreciated. TIA Bob

Reply to
BeeP

Is the key in the on position?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No. Original reason for replacement caused by key not able to turn at all. Second car. Used the wrong key in lock and apparently trashed the cylinder (or tumblers or discs or whatever, locksmith wasn't sure) Key only is in Lock position, where it can be removed but not turned in lock. Seeking to install new lock/key combo from parts store. Something is still holding the lock in there, when the visible button is pushed in.

steering

Reply to
BeeP

Spray into the lock cylinder with a general purpose lock lubricant. Then put the correct key into the ignition and tap gently on it with a hammer while attempting to turn it to the on position. With some force it should eventually turn to the on position where you can depress the release and remove the cylinder. If you want the key to match the doors, trunk, etc. you will need to have Chrysler re-key using the VIN.

I've had this same problem with two different Chrysler vans, so know the above procedure works. The second time I just re-lubricated the cylinder and re-installed and it has been working fine now for over a year. I'm not sure what causes them to bind up like this, but I think this is a relatively common problem.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks I'll give it a try and let you know. Mine was jimmied by a different key (doh!) just one of those moments. So I hope this works, 'nuther Bob

trashed

turned

Reply to
BeeP

You MUST get the cyl turned to the on position. If necessary force it, with the key in the cyl. The pin can NOT be depressed in the lock position. The pin MUST be depressed to remove the cyl.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thanks folks for all the suggestions - I wound up drilling out the cylinder and removing the assembly with no surrounding damage. Replacement lock (with its own key) went in easy. However, I encountered another problem. When everything was back into the steering hub -- the steering shaft was about 1 to 1.25 inches too low - somehow during the process it dropped down into the column -- too low to attach the steering wheel. It pulls up, but tension pulls it back down. I looked on the floor and it seems like the lower shaft moves up and down through the floor hole and bushing -- and that didn't look right !! Any ideas about what may have let go down there? Some kind of retainer? T-I-A... Bob

There

Reply to
BeeP