91 Gr Caravan 3.3 acceleration problem

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this problem with my '91 Grand Caravan 3.3L. Has 370,000 KM but still in pretty good shape and working reasonably well.

When going uphill at speeds of approx 80 KPH (approx 50 MPH) engine seems to "jerk" almost like a sputtering or missing ... but press the pedal to force a downshift and no more problem! Don't notice the problem when driving on level or at slower "in town" speeds.

Problem developed actually a couple months ago. A mechanic I normally trust suggested I get a motor vac done - referred me to a shop with the equipment to do it. Cost $100 and there's no noticable difference. In the last few weeks I've also noticed that on a cold start, there seems to be some hesitation (loss of power)when first starting to move. This disappears after a minute or so. I assume this may be related, although this is a recent occurrance.

Rod Corkum

Reply to
Rod Corkum

What is a "motor vac"?

How much diagnosis of this do you want to do yourself?

You might pull a plug and see if it's showing signs of too lean condition.

Check the air filter and make sure it's not clogged.

You might run it though an emissions test station (if they have such in your area) and see if it still passes.

This sounds like a fuel system problem to me, I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks, check fuel system pressure, check for proper function of EGR valve.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
jdoe

Thanks for the tips. The "motor vac" is a fuel system cleaning procedure. I did a quick web search and found two sites that seem to explain pretty well. See

and also
(halfway down the page on this one.)

Also received a direct email suggestion relating to some plug wires causing a similar problem. So a few things to check out.

Reply to
Rod Corkum

Thanks for the tips. The "motor vac" is a fuel system cleaning procedure. I did a quick web search and found two sites that seem to explain pretty well. See

and also
(halfway down the page on this one.)

Also received a direct email suggestion relating to some plug wires causing a similar problem. So a few things to check out.

Reply to
Rod Corkum

I've had what sounds like the same problem with my 96 GV. It began around the 90,000 mile point and has continued to this day (155K now). The problem has never set an error code. The dealer said it needed a TBI cleaning, but that didn't help. They also said it could be the TCC acting up, but since no codes are set, they couldn't be sure. So far, nobody has been able to find the problem. Mine occurs close to 45 MPH than 50, and only a certain throttle settings on certain hills. It seems to require just the right load at just the right speed to act up.

Does your sputtering go away only if you increase throttle? Mine will stop with either more throttle or less.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

My van (94 GC 3.3) ran weird for MONTHS before it finally tripped a code - that code was for the O2 sensor.

I had it replaced, and all the little quirks went away.

As it was said - cheap and easy to do. Start with the simple stuff first. ;)

Reply to
cloaked

Reply to
jdoe

Oxygen sensors have a very difficult survival job with Canadian gasoline, most of which contains high levels of Sulphur and MMT -- both of which tend to coat and shorten the effective life of the sensor. You will not necessarily get a trouble code until the sensor fails completely; they can and do get "lazy" (slow to respond) and cause all kinds of weird driveability faults without setting a code.

When you replace it, make sure to get a Chrysler-Mopar, Standard-BlueStreak, NAPA-Echlin or NTK sensor, and NOT a Bosch, unless you want to be right back where you started in a few weeks.

Your mechanic was lazy. He should have done proper diagnosis and evaluation instead of sending you to spend $100 on a BS process that can easily be duplicated, when it is actually needed, with a $17 can of BG 44K or bottle of Chevron Techron.

I'll also ask: How long since you had a proper "tune up", by which I mean a new set of proper spark plugs (not the gimmicky multiple-electrode crapola), a new air filter, the throttle body cleaned, the PCV valve replaced and a complete cleaning and inspection of the PCV system?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yup. The replacement they put in mine was an NTK. I was questioning the mechanic about them when he removed the old one - which was also an NTK, and had likely been there for a long time.

The mechainc showed me the O2 signal on the scope. Mine was a square-wave which did not vary with engine changes. When the new one was installed, the signal was smooth, and responded fairly quickly to engine changes.

No doubt about it.

As for the coating, I would agree. For the first 2 weeks, I got 27 MPG in the city. Now I am right back to about 20 MPG. :(

Reply to
cloaked

My 97 3.3 does the same thing at about 40MPH...but I have to have the A/C running for it to "buck" like is described here. Been doing it for 3-4 years now..no codes.

| > When going uphill at speeds of approx 80 KPH (approx 50 MPH) engine | > seems to "jerk" almost like a sputtering or missing ... but press the | > pedal to force a downshift and no more problem! Don't notice the | > problem when driving on level or at slower "in town" speeds. | | I've had what sounds like the same problem with my 96 GV. It began | around the 90,000 mile point and has continued to this day (155K now). | The problem has never set an error code. The dealer said it needed a | TBI cleaning, but that didn't help. They also said it could be the TCC | acting up, but since no codes are set, they couldn't be sure. So far, | nobody has been able to find the problem. Mine occurs close to 45 MPH | than 50, and only a certain throttle settings on certain hills. It | seems to require just the right load at just the right speed to act up. | | Does your sputtering go away only if you increase throttle? Mine will | stop with either more throttle or less. | | Matt |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

The first responder sent me a direct email: "The spark plug wires on cylinders 3 and 6 (longest ones) have a habit of developing a high resistance causing a crossfire situation, most common symptom is a miss under light acceleration at about 45 to 50 mph."

I replaced the wires a few days ago, been out on the highway today and no more "jerking" problem. Also the recent hesitation on cold starts disappeared too so obviously related. Feels like it has a bit more pep too (although that may be my imagination.)

Reply to
Rod Corkum

I had to go for an emissions test and my 93 GC 3.3 with over 300,000k on it failed, took it to someone I could trust and it had no codes in it but he did notice that the readings on the O2 sensor where low, the voltages where to low and not changing enough. Off to crappy tire for a bosch and we put it in and off for a new test and it now passed with flying colour's.

Again this sensor did not post any codes as to it not working.

What is wr>>

REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

Reply to
Len

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

The first responder sent me a direct email: "The spark plug wires on cylinders 3 and 6 (longest ones) have a habit of developing a high resistance causing a crossfire situation, most common symptom is a miss under light acceleration at about 45 to 50 mph."

I replaced the wires, been out on the highway and no more "jerking" problem. Also the recent hesitation on cold starts disappeared too so obviously related. Feels like it has a bit more pep too .

Reply to
Rod Corkum