97 Caravan DTC P0351 etc. Fuel related??

I have been getting various DTC codes of P0351,353 353 etc. I have changed plugs and the changed coil. Ran good for about 1500 miles, then DTC came back. It wasn't running bad. Cleared codes but came right back and ran badly after. Changed out coil again and cleared codes. Ran good. About 1000 miles later a P0353 came back but ran good??? Could this be fuel related (lean). Fuel filter etc. I bought this van used about 6 months ago so I don't have a lot of history on it.

97 Grand Caravan SE 3.8L 125K
Reply to
Ed D

How did you come about getting these P codes for this 97? Are you sure you got the right fault codes? Having both of those faults at the same time would probably be a no start condition. (ign coil 1 and 3 primary circuit) ASD output circuit open to the coil . That would be loosing 12 volts from the ASD output side of the relay, faulty coil pack, wiring issue or PCM failure. A scan tool would be good to have so you can actuate the ASD relay to test it out.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I got the codes from my local Autozone who read and cleared the codes. I don't have an OBD2 scan tool. I may get an AutoTap scanner setup if this continues. I have used a similar product in my Harley shop to read and clear codes.

I understand what you are saying but it has always ran well , except for that one time. I am familiar with the ASD relay from the days of my 89 New Yorker. I was just wondering if any one chases these problems and finds out that it was fuel related. This looks like a misfire condition of some sort. I guess if I use a scanner it would eliminate a lot of guess work.

The last current code was a P0353. It coughed once and threw a DTC.

Reply to
Ed D

Reply to
philthy

As said you need a good scan tool to get in there and see and test what is going on. But if you have replace the coil and you know it is good. The pcm fires the coils so. The next step is the PCM or wiring from it to the coil.

Reply to
MT-2500

From what I have read normal procedure would be to replace plugs, wires then coil. I have replaced plugs and 2 coils. I will do a set of wires before PCM.

there is a very good article on this subject:

Sounds like no one considers fuel related trouble shooting before all electronic items have been replaced? I was considering fuel filter next along with wires.

Reply to
Ed D

I missed the joke .. he he

Did I say we could pull car codes with a HD scan tool???

Reply to
Ed D

Those codes indicate that the PCM has detected an ELECTRICAL problem in the coil PRIMARY circuit(s). Working on the fuel system and secondary ignition will get you nowhere.

Reply to
bllsht

One more question, did this scan tool just give you the P code or did it actually spell the fault out? Meaning did it just give a number and you had to go to a book to see which one it was? Glenn

Reply to
maxpower