98 Voyager 3.0 liter V6 Thermostat Replacement?

How hard is it to replace the thermostat on a 98 Voyager with the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi V6?

We've had some really cold weather on the east coast the past few days and I noticed that the temperature gauge in my wife's Vger is only going up 1/4 the way, even on the highway. In the summer, the temp gauge would head up about half way.

I'm thinking I have a defective thermostat, which also could explain the poor gas mileage the minivan has gotten for some time, asssuming it's not getting up to proper operating temperature. The vehicle also takes a long time to warm up - more so than it used to.

I haven't looked under the hood yet to see where the thermostat is located to see if this is a job I can do myself. If it's behind the timing belt cover, I may bite the bullet and pay to have someone do it, but if it's an easy job, I'd like the challenge.

Reply to
zebra

maxpower

Thanks for the reply - looking in my Haynes manual, it does not mention the 3.0 as an engine which requires "bleeding" to get the air out. Yet the Chiltons does... (go figure). Looks like it should be fairly straight-forward. Wish me luck!

Reply to
Zebra

============================================== Here comes the "detractors" of Haynes and the like.

HNY h

Reply to
howard

I don't usually need a manual, but like to have one for reference. Often times those manuals are quite generic and don't give me the exact stuff I am looking for when tackling a repair. The old carpenter's saying "measure twice and cut once" comes to mind... forewarned is forearmed... I'll be quiet now. (grin!)

Reply to
Zebra

I replaced the thermostat on my 3.0 Voyager. You might want to spend the money for the original Mitsubishi part from the dealer. It's about $20 versus 3rd party for $6-$10 but it is made a little better and less likely to stick. I don't want to replace this again and it did seem to work a little smoother than the Slant or 3rd party thermostats.

It's not hard, although I was careful and took me almost 2 hours. I am sure it can be done in 30 minutes but I did not want anything to fall into the engine. Just take off one of the radiator hoses and voila, sits on the front of the engine, so very accessible leaning over the front of the engine compartment.

I also replaced the hose at the same time, figuring why not. Not have to worry much about bleeding, just made sure not much air was getting in. Also check the engine codes and sure enough it was the thermostat.

Reply to
Treeline

Thanks for the insight - I thought about getting a dealer part as well as I do not mind spending more for a quality part.

Reply to
Zebra

Hmmm... $30 for the dealer part. Hope to pop it in tomorrow when it warms up a little.

Reply to
Zebra

Thanks for everyone's help - it was a pretty easy job. The old thermostat was stuck slightly open - I could see light thru the sealing surfaces. The new 'stat gets the temp up to half-way on the gauge whereas the old one only went up 1/4. The proof will be in the colder weather to come and also to see if we get better MPG now. I suspect we should as the car was running too cold.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Zebra