Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager

Some time this spring I'd like to pop some new spark plugs in my wife's '98 3.0 V6 Voyager (Vger). This one has the Mitsubishi engine.

When I got the car two years back, it had 66K miles on it and when I replaced the plugs, they looked like the originals, they were that bad. (Never have I seen such bady worn plugs!) I replaced those plugs with Bosch Platinum plugs (regular plats, not the 2s or the 4s) The Vger now has about 75K on the clock.

From personal experience in other cars and also from reading on the 'net, the original Bosch Platinums may not be the best plugs when one is looking for a long-lasting plug.

What do people recommend? The Bosch Platinum+4s? Bosch Platinum 2s? Autolite Platinums? Denso Iridiums?

I don't mind spending more if the plugs are long-lasting premium plugs. The Vger is only driven about 4K a year around town, so these very well may be the last plugs I put in the car.

Reply to
Ken Peterson

I know that the original equipment on my 1991 Mitsubishi 3.0L were NGK plugs which were rated for 60K miles. I've had very good luck with the NGK plugs, but they are a bit expensive. Even so, shop around for them since price varied considerably.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

NGK. Regulars are fine, Iridiums are VERY long lasting and commensurately expensive.

Junk.

Neither are their latest scams, the Platinum+4 and Platinum+2.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the advice. I see that NGK has a variety of plugs for this engine:

Standard $2.25 V-Power $2.50 G-Power Platinum $3 Iridium IX $7 Laser Platinum $12

Any opinion on Autolite double-platinums? I like the idea of a plat-to-plat airgap and the autolites are half the price of the NGK laser plats.

Reply to
Ken Peterson

Autolite double-platinum's are a superb plug. I have had great experience with them in two Chrysler Town & Countries and a PT Cruiser (for which they are OEM approved) and a 98 RAV4.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Certainly not a bad plug. I ran Autolites exclusively until I mostly changed to NGKs, but I'm still happy to run Autolites. I will not run Champions or Bosches (too many problems!).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thank you Richard & Daniel for your inputs!

Looks like I'll have to order the plugs via the 'net as those do not appear to be available in Long Island, NY, unless some performance shop carries them.

I figure the Autolite double-plats should do nicely and might last a few years (considering the 4-5K a year that's put on the clock).

The Iridium plugs only have an iridium core, not the ground electode, so while the iridium center electrode may last a lifetime, not the ground, so no good for that.

I haven't run Champions in years. Never really liked them, except I did use them back in the early 70's on a '64 Buick Skylark 300 cu in V8 I had.

A tip of the hat, gents!

Reply to
Ken Peterson

I buy the OEM Champion the cheapest plugs for all my vehicles and change them out at each 30K. The truth to be known there is no proof that a more expensive plug provides better performance whether it be a platinum , or split fire, or any other type. See for yourself write each manufacturer and ask them to provide a guarantee and if you are lucky to get an answer you will find they will not provide one and they will provide many excuses.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
jdoe

The Mitsubishi engine is not "hard on plugs" anywhere except in your imaginative little mind.

The manufacturer spends time and money negotiating for the lowest-priced plug that will do the job acceptably.

Well, there y'go -- you got one out of three statements correct in your post.

Better luck next time.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Nobody said it did.

There are more expensive plugs that make engines run worse and don't last very long (Splitfire, Bosch Platinum, etc.), but there are also more expensive plugs that make the engine run properly over a longer period of time.

Daniel J. Stern

Ken,

My 3.0L is a different application even though it is the same engine. My

3.0L is in a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL. This is the double overhead cam version with 222 base HP and basically the same engine (and plugs) as is used in the much higher HP twin turbo. The 3000GT calls for the laser platinum version. As I indicated in my previous post, they are 60K mile plugs and I picked them up the last time for around $10-11 each somewhere on the web. This compares to the $23 each they wanted at the local Chrysler (Stealth) and Mitsubishi dealers.

They are excellent plugs and perform very well. I was reluctant to try anything else since I have had some bad luck when not using OEM plugs in the past. Hey, if the manufacturer sprang for the extra bucks for these plugs in the first place, then there was a reason. That all said, I'm not sure what plug your make and model call for so check to see what it came with from the factory and use the same if possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Double platinums are genreally designed for lost spark ignitions, because half the plugs fire positive, and the other half negative. They are not a great improvement on conventional ignitions, and using non platinum plugs on my old 3.0 Aeostar (ford) I got over 40,000KM on a set. Never liked leaving them in much longer than that anyways, as they tended to "burn" the case, and you'd twist them off trying to remove them. Not nice on an engine where you have to do everything by "braille".

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
jdoe

Amen on that one Daniel.. Champion cranked out so much crap in the 60's (sparkplugs anyway.. don't remember them marketing anything else)that I still won't buy *anything* that says Champion on it. Autolites.... yup.. used them for years NGK's have used also without *any* comebacks or problems of any kind.

Reply to
me!

Bosch platinums.. tried the 2 prongs.. 1. they gave a guarantee if I couldn't tell the difference I could get my money back.. (of course I DID)

  1. plugs on my 2.4 are a 30 minute job from opening the hood to closing after the finish or I wouldn't have bothered.. but it did do well to settle the argument for me anyway..

Platinum=another attempted rip off *no value* didn't make a bit of difference to the positive.. and I actually felt the vehicle did not start as well.. however that was not scientific.. just a judgment of my own.. .. but one of experience.. I have had the vehicle for 7 years and put 100,000 miles on it in the city (Chicago) not a lot of high way or expressway miles.. hence many many many starts.

Reply to
me!

Thanks for all the input - I ordered some Autolite double platinums today from

- I figure that will be betterthan the Bosch Platinums that are currently in use. The Bosch plugshave less than 10K on them by the time I remove them, so I figurethey'll do until their replaced. On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They seem to be of good quality, plus I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than Anco. (IMHO)

Reply to
Ken Peterson

On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They seem to be of good quality, plus I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than Anco. (IMHO)

Back in 67 my friend got a new 911, with twin 3 barrel carbs. It had air injection and fouled the plugs every 1,000 miles or so. Bosch had an expensive platinum plug that was superb and that cured the fouling problem (along with a capacitive discharge ignition we build from a kit). Wonder if Bosch still offers those superb plugs in Europe?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Based on...?

Boy, not me. I've found just the opposite.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Personal opinion and examination. The other generic wires I have acquired from the various auto parts stores local to me were not as good. YMMV.

I had Anco blades on this Voyager and they made horrible noises on anything but a very wet windshield. (drove the wifee crazy). I popped in a set of Bosch 28" blades, and that cured the noise problem, both in the blades and the wifee complaints! :-)

Reply to
Ken Peterson