99 T&C hedlight upgrde possible?

It is a well known problem that 1999 T&C van got a very weak headlight.

Besides spending thousands of dollars, is there any cheaper way to improve it? Stronger/newer bulb? I found the silver thing in front of the bulb is also turning black...

Anyone has a successful story upgrading/improving the lighting of this van?

Reply to
harry

True.

Yes, you can spend *hundreds* of dollars instead of thousands and fix the problem completely

None exists that will actually improve your seeing with the present headlamps.

This is unsightly and indicative of the lamp's poor design, but of no consequence to performance. That is the bulb shield, not an optical component.

You will probably hear all kinds of malarkey about blue, superwhite, extrawhite, hyperwhite, silverstar etc. bulbs. The problem is not the bulbs, and bulbs with any kind of coloration to the glass put out less light than clear-glass bulbs. The problem is the optics. Does not matter how expensive the frames are; if your eyeglass lenses were ground poorly you will not see well. Same principle here.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I did put in over wattage bulbs into my 96 T&C and that greatly improved the performance of the lights. My improvement lasted about 6 months, at which time the bulb mounts and the wires melted.

You might try the GE NightHawk line of bulbs for a slight improvement, they are standard wattage.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

wish you had not told me. I have a 99 T & C and have never noticed any deficiency in the head lights.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Daniel,

I heard about euro solution for Chrysler before, maybe this is the one but I don't see any headlight component listed from this website...

Reply to
harry

Daniel J. Stern

Thanks, Daniel.

But it is >

Reply to
harry

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

From the picture, it seems the turn signal light is not occupying the edge and the front. Generally, the turn signal is visible not just from front but also from the sides. I am wondering if this is cnforming to the safety requirement here in US?

Reply to
harry

The signal in the us has been usedto be seen from the side. But a marker light has been usedby the Euro's to be seen from the side. That is why the Euro's have a dedicated side marker, usually located behind the front fender opening's. Volvo's and BMW's and VW's use them on there cars in N. America. You would have to add that the the van. Easily wired in. And alot more visible as it is seen from the whole side of the vehicle.

Reply to
David

The factory '96-'97 T&C, '96-'00 Caravan/Voyager headlamp incorporates a combination park/turn/sidemarker lamp/sidemarker reflector. The '98-'00 T&C headlamp incorporates only an amber sidemarker reflector. The sidemarker lamp, parking lamp and turn signal functions on the '98-up T&C are in the bumpers. Therefore, the turn signal in the European assembly would not necessarily be hooked up. The factory turn signals, parking lamps and sidemarkers would continue to work as before. The only function you would lose would be the amber front sidemarker reflector, which is very easily added back on.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern