Atten: D. Stern re: H1R2/9012 bulb

Dan,

A few months ago, you mentioned the H1R1/9011 for high beams and referrenced this link:

I intend to install H1R1's in place of the 9005 hi beams, but I was also thinking about H1R2's for the low beams.

However, I notice this precaution on the bmwz.org page: "With 88 percent more light than a 9006, it must only be used in low beams that have, as part of their design, excellent control of upward stray light. If the low beam pattern doesn't have a reasonably sharp horizontal cutoff at the top of the beam, if there's appreciable upward stray light above horizontal, you will produce excessive glare and get excessive backdazzle with 9012s in place of 9006s in the low beam..."

My question is this: Would the stock headlight assy. in my '99 Concorde be suitable for the H1R2 in place of the 9006 standard bulb in light of this "upward stray light" issue? (keep in mind that the 90° vs. straight base is not a problem - I can mod the headlight assy. to accept a 90° bulb)

Would you recommend against the H1R2 in my car? If so, I would go with H1R1 highs, and XtraVision (which you have recommended in the past) for the lows.

What say you?

Bill Putney

I haven't investigated a Concorde headlamp assembly thoroughly or recently enough to say for sure. From what I remember of the headlamp, I suspect you could probably get away with it without making worse glare than a great many existing headlamp designs with standard bulbs. You'd have to aim the lamps carefully, of course, with considerably less tolerance for "ballpark" slop.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern