Chrysler daimler SMART autos show up at east Canadian port.

I live in Halifax NS and at the Autoport here are about 20 of the small two seater Smarts from Germany.

I took some digital shots of them yesterday.

Does anyone know where they would be headed to and why ( testing in the US ? )

here is a photo:

PDT

I saw one driving around Nanaimo a couple of weeks ago. It was covered in advertising that I didn't read. Brian, in Cedar

Reply to
Brian Barnson

The rear quarter panel of the silver car in the foreground is indeed a North American-spec model, evidenced by the red rear sidemarker lamp/reflector. I don't see front sidemarkers on the two full-view cars at the left of the photo.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The vehicle has not been submitted for certification in the US and Chrysler states that it is not built for such Certification. A small company in CA is modifying European models for sale in the States for about $2,000 above European list price. They are not yet Certified for sale.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

That may be so, but DC also states there are no plans to build or release the upcoming Dodge Charger.

Regardless, I said that the sidemarker identified the car as a *North American* model, not as a "US model". And as restated in the article here:

Smarts will be for sale in Canada starting...

...this month.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I was in Italy a couple of years ago and the Smart car was everywhere. It seemed like the most appealing feature of the Smart car was not driving them but parking them. In Italy they were parked on sidewalks and all sorts of places that you couldn't park a real car. In the US you wouldn't be allowed to do that which would seem to take away the most appealing feature of the Smart car. What you are left with is a car so tiny that the SUV driver that runs over it might not even notice that he's hit anything. Do European's take those things on highways or are they used strictly in cities? With a top speed of 75 MPH I sure wouldn't want to drive one on the Autobahns.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

There is a company planning to import them to Canada next year - not sure but I think they are in Burlington Ontario? Most likely bringing in the certification test vehicles.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce