Ride Report (FWIW)

Not sure if this appropriate here but I took a ride last Saturday that I'd like to share. This will tend to be long so this is the time to hit the delete key if you are not interested.

Saturday 13 Sept began as an overcast day here in central Maine. Weather forecast said this was only upper level fog and it would burn off by noon. I learned early in the morning that the wife would be tied up doing errands all day. Hmmm...What am I to do? I have only owned "lil Blue" since mid July and really had not gone on a long ride yet. Once the fog burned off it was supposed to be a mostly sunny day with temps in the low 70's. Sounds like a decent day to take "lil Blue" out and put her thru her paces. Decisions: still early and I had a choice to make. Do I take a ride up into the Rangely Lakes region (lots of nice twisties) or do I head up to Fryeburg Maine and then cross over into the White Mountain National Forest of New Hampster. Can't really tell you why Fryeburg won, but it did. Sun began peeking thru the clouds/fog about noon and I headed out. Tis a ten mile ride (all back roads) from my town of Auburn to Mechanic Falls. Small twisties but slow speed limits Ok..at McFalls I hit state route 11 headed for Naples, Maine. This is a fine two lane road with many up's & downs and nice but small twisties. 13 miles worth. I was already having a ball. The grin was growing! Hit US Route 302 in Naples and headed for Fryeburg (30 miles?). This is also a nice road but being a federal highway it was fairly straight but a nice ride. Got to Fryeburg (grin growing larger) and crossed into New Hampster. OH..gotta tell ya, I had some good Moody Blues & Dire Straits CD's to help enjoy the ride. Once I crossed the border and into Conway New Hampster, I went another

6 miles and turned onto the Kancamangus Highway.

It has been many years since I traveled this road. I was hoping it was as I remembered it. IT was, and more!!! This highway is 32 miles of NO gas stations/stores or anything else except scenic turnouts and rest areas. Since I began the ride at the East end, I followed the winding Swift River along the side of the mountains. Nothing but twisties and uphill climbing for 20 miles. (Grin growing at ever turn) Luckily for me, the summer tourist season is over and the "leaf-lookers" have not arrived yet. Almost clear sailing heading west! "lil Blue" performed flawlessly! I might mention here that New Hampster allows this road appear as natural as possible. There are many needed guard rails but none are galvanized. They are allowed to rust and blend in with nature. Approx halfway thru the highway you top out on a pass of about 3,000ft and the view is spectacular! I know that 3,000 ft may not sound like much to some of you, but up here, it is almost above the tree line. As I gained altitude the bright sunshine of the valley faded into almost overcast and it got slightly chilly. Not a problem! Twas amazing that the bright blue sky had changed so that the tops of the mountains seemed to be capturing the passing clouds. Kinda looked like some of those hills had a cotton ball attached to the top. From the top of the pass you head downhill. The sign says it is a 9 degree downgrade for

9 miles which ends in a 160 degree "hairpin turn" at the bottom. Sign there warns of 20 mph for the turn. (no comment!) Back in the valley again and ending most of the twisties, I entered the town of Lincoln, New Hampster. Lots of touristy things there but I was not interested, I wanted some more nice riding. Found a local American Legion post #83 that was open and stopped in. Told them I was looking for another ride that would take me back to Maine that might be as nice as the Kancamangus......Directions follow; Go down to Interstate 93 (1 mile) and head north to exit #35 and off onto US Route 302. During this run up I #93 I went thru Franconia Notch State Park. This is where New Hampsters "Man of the Mountain" used to be. Beautiful scenery!

Well...I was cruising and missed that exit but did get off 30 miles later and connected back onto US route 302 further north. I had no idea, until I looked at a map that this section of US Route #302 was considered a US Scenic Byway. Unlike the section of US Route # 302 that I traveled in Maine, this section was almost as twistie as the Kancamangus but much better maintained (but not really the same) It was fun to drive. On the way down this road I passed Bretton Woods.

Continuing further I found a number of places to pull off and either enjoy the view or walk down the embankments and splash in the streams.

Damn..I can't begin to tell ya the grin that I had! By now, I'm back in the valley again and the sun was warm. Next came Crawford Notch. These are places the old timers found a way through the White Mountains. Did I mention that I was in the White Mountain National Forest for the majority of this ride?

Then it was home again. This Miata grin will be on my face for months to come!

I understand that most of you reading this have nice places to ride and you'll most likely never get up to the "real" Northeast, but if you ever do get up here I hope you'll take the ride described. I promise you'll not be disappointed.

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

disappointed.

Gotta love the Kanc, though it's usually packed when ever I go through there. Next time, when you get to Fryeburg, turn right on Rte. 113. It stadles the ME/NH border all the way up into the National Forest and will dump you out on Route 2 in or near Gilead, ME. From there, it's a short hop west into Berlin, NH, or north to Rangely, or east into Rumford/Mexico (which leads back to Auburn anyway). 113 isn't as sceneic as the Kanc, but it's a blast to drive. You can tell right off because it's gated and closed during the winter. Those are always the curviest roads :)

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama
112 and 118 are good rides. Watch out for the M'sters Fall Foliage Fun Run, scheduled to start in the Tilton NH area on Oct 18 and romp through the hills all day.

Approximate route is here:

It's a blast!

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming newly waxed silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE