chrysler plymouth minivan transmission failure 1997 @ 96,000

i have a 1997 chrysler plymouth minivan, the transmission just died. i pulled the pan, and found lots of metal shavings and needle bearings. i called some shops and they say the needle bearings are from the planetary gears. they also said that this is a common problem. (gotta friggin love "common problems") so anyway just wanted to post this for archiving purposes the the groups, and hope it helps someone. local shop said 750-1000 to fix, aamco said 1150-1500 both offered standard 12 month 12,000 warranty. aamco offered 3 year

36,000 optional warr for 295.00

chrysler and ford are known for "common problems" folks, buy a toyota, also have a 92 corolla 235,000 still runs great and original transmission, no repair to the trans. engine had water pump replaced at 100,000 and an ac fan relay at 150,000 otherwise the thing is so reliable. just bought an 01' tacoma quad cab 4X4 should be ok for 400,000! last chrysler i ever buy!

Reply to
private

For your sake and the sake of your car and your wallet, I surely hope you did not let SCAAMCO touch your transmission.

So's Toyota: The engine sludging problem they denied for *years* before grudgingly allowing as how the problem was endemic comes to mind.

So? I had a '92 Chrysler LeBaron, sold it with 264,000 on it running great and with the original transmission. My uncle has a '92 Camry, 134,000 and on its THIRD transmission.

Voila.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

I know how you feel. I've got a 96 T&C whose first tranny went at 67K, I had a remanufactured installed and it lasted 12K. I'm now on my third in a little over a year. Chryler would not even honor the labor part of their written warranty, they would only pay for 25% of the labor. Get the best warranty you can, even if it costs more. This is a common problem for these, fix it, sell it, and buy some other brand.

Reply to
bytor

What does the warranty say? I can't believe that Chrysler isn't honoring a written warranty. I can believe that there is fine print that you didn't read before signing the contract. If they didn't honor what is there in writing, then it should be a piece of cake to win against them in small claims court.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

| > chrysler and ford are known for "common problems" | > folks, buy a toyota, also have a 92 corolla 235,000 still runs great | > and original transmission, no repair to the trans. engine had water | > pump replaced at 100,000 and an ac fan relay at 150,000 otherwise the | > thing is so reliable. just bought an 01' tacoma quad cab 4X4 should be | > ok for 400,000! last chrysler i ever buy! | |

Never had a problem getting warranty work out of Chrysler...something is wrong.

Reply to
James C. Reeves