clunk and vibration - 1996 Concorde

'96 concorde with 115K miles. Has a "clunk" when aceleratiing after coasting and vibration at 40-50 mph. Could this be CV joint, axel shafts, both?

What will this cost me (very roughly) to have someone repair it?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Arnie I have the same noise from my front end and some vibration. When I went to the local shop for repair they told me that it was the RACK & PINION system. Depending on which one was installed in your car it could cost for the part $200 - 300 plus time. The guy told me it was not at the point that it was needed to be replaced but they would keep an eye on it. Frank

Reply to
m715fm

Thanks for responding. Another person said it might be motor mounts. I'll have a repair place check it out next week.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Could also be rear transmission mount.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

If the clunk feels like it is from underneath the shifter console, definitely the rear AT mount. The best part is after replacement the noise, vibration and the harshness will go down dramatically in the car based on my experience with a 94 LHS. I wonder if the part was improved or if it just wears out.

Reply to
Art

I think they deteriorate a lot before the fail enough to allow the "clunk." I was about convinced my wife's car had a cracked flex plate or had shed a balance weight off the torque convertor (assuming there are any...) but replacing the engine mounts and transmission mount made it feel like a new car.

Reply to
Steve

When my 94 LHS was new, it had to have a snubber fix in the AT to prevent a chain from hitting the casing. I always thought the car was noisier after the repair and it was remedied years later with the AT rear mount replacement. I always wondered if the mount was damaged during that first repair.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Dealer sounds like a good idea to me. When you authorize the repair, authorize fixing the clunk and not repairing a particular part. That way if the first fix doesn't work you have a leg to stand on. So make sure the repair order says fix the clunk.

Reply to
Art