Consultant: GM merger would eliminate most Chrysler vehicles

Simply not true. The design has been in production since 1984. If it had a fundamental problem, a) it wouldn't have been popular enough to sell 4 million units in Jeep Cherokees alone, and b) it would never have been enlarged and adapted to the Ram. "Wobble" is always the result of either worn or loose parts or a severe alignment error. ALWAYS.

It was more the requirement to add side impact beams, meet front and rear impact requirements, and things like that.

Whole different animal- thats the FSJ (Gladiator/Wagoneer) platform, not the XJ Cherokee I was talking about. I should have said 'XJ' specifically. The FSJ platform was probably the best SUV ever, which is why Wagoneers still sell for $20k to $30k. Every time I drive one of those I walk away shaking my head saying 'this simply CAN'T have solid axles and leaf springs at all 4 corners, it just drives too damn well, is way too comfortable, and WAY too quiet to be so good offroad." My wife even stops to look at really nice Wagoneers. It would be one of my dream vehicles with a new Hemi or a Magnum 5.9 dropped in place of the old carbureted AMC 360. Not that the AMC 360 was bad in any particular way other than being a bit heavy for its output, but you can't argue the superiority of EFI for offroading.

Reply to
Steve

Read about the 920 platform and the 900 (pickups) it's based on.

Reply to
Lloyd

For GM (and Chrysler) to succeed they will have to give up expecting to produce large numbers of these huge vehicles. They are no longer big profit makers, but profit takers.

Reply to
Some O

I can google too.

I'm waiting for you to explain how its as different from the GM pickups as the Durango is from Dodge pickups.

In your own words.

Reply to
Steve

I would say that the big urban cruiser SUVs are a shrinking market, although we're quick to go back to driving vehicles we enjoy the instant gas prices drop- which they've done. Pickups, on the other hand, will always be here. But they may go back to being simple, rugged, reliable goods-haulers instead of luxury vehicles with beds that never get a scratch. They can still be profitable, but they won't have the absurd profit MARGIN that they've had in the past few years.

Reply to
Steve

It looks like the GM deal is off.

see:

but the pertinent quote is this:

"GM Chief Executive Rick Wagoner, without mentioning Chrysler by name, said on a conference call that GM had ended talks about a possible merger with a Detroit rival to concentrate on the cash crisis it now faces."

Reply to
Steve

Sorry but you are dead wrong. I had it on my 2000, 2001 and now my

2007.5. Aftermarket parts cured it on my 2000 and 2001. Changing to the newer 2008 design on my 2007 Ram cured it. No parts were worn per the shops and dealers that checked. 2007.5 Ram has only 20,000 miles. It was a bad design and exactly why it was changed for 2008 to a substantially improved setup.

Wasn't it Chrysler who killed it and went with the newer lightweight cheap design? I really haven't felt anyone has made a worthwhile 4x4 in many many years. The Wrangler is the closest but its a far cry from the heavy built rock solid Jeeps of years gone by.

Reply to
Miles

Then I'd suspect an incompetent shop, because its really very simple cause-and-effect. Go check the FAQ section on any the Jeep forum. AMC did a very good job on that suspension in creating a really rugged 4x4 system that has far better on-road manners than, say, Ford's twin-I-beam style setup that carries the differential up and down with one wheel. It does get pretty bad when it wears out, unlike some setups that just get sloppy, but its great if you maintain it. FWIW, my XJ has 130,000 miles and no hint of wobble yet.

The "lightweight" Cherokee (the XJ) and its companion small pickup, the Comanche, were designed entirely by AMC and released in 1984. AMC ceased production of the FSJ Cherokee at about that timeor a little before- certainly before the Chrysler takeover in ~85. I think the Gladiator pickup had been gone for some time before the FSJ Cherokee was ended, leaving only the Grand Wagoneer on the FSJ platform. An upscale version of the XJ was called the "Wagoneer" (no "Grand") by AMC and Chrysler (look for one on old episodes of Magnum PI- it was Higgins' car). After releasing the Grand Cherokee (ZJ), Chrysler gave it an upscale version called the "Grand Wagoneer" which replaced the old FSJ Grand Wagoneer in

1992. The 84-01 XJ carried the front solid-axle suspension that was enlarged for use on the 94-2008 Ram 4x4 truck. I guess you could say that Chrysler "killed" the FSJ Wagoneer, but they kept it in production through 1991, 6 years after taking over AMC so it sure wasn't a hasty move.

Like I said, Chrylser really didn't mess with the AMC truck line hardly at all for years and years. And the only cars AMC had at the time Chrysler took over were the Concord and various bastard Renaults, so that was just good riddance!

Reply to
Steve

I frequent various Dodge and Cummins forums. Recently its been a hot topic because of the change in steering linkage setup on the 2008 Rams. The new one piece tie rod as well as other improvements is what Chrysler should have done years ago. The problem is simply NOT just worn out parts. The death wobble issue has been happening on 2007 and

2008 (prior to change) with low mileage just as it has for prior years. The new design changes connection points, goes to a 1 piece tie, much larger diameter stronger rod, improved stabilizer and more. The new design is also now capable of handling lifts and larger tires without trouble. The old design was just plain horrible. Chrysler's new setup is very welcome albeit very late.
Reply to
Miles

It's more likely GM as we know it will disappear first.

Reply to
Some O

I'll bet the USA Gov said no cash support if you take over poor Chrysler.

Reply to
Some O

rumor has it the government said no merger. same when GM was talking to Ford

Reply to
rob

The current administration pretty much said "no cash support" period.

I don't think the incoming administration will spare ANY expense to protect the union vote, so GM probably will be protected as will Chrysler.

Reply to
Steve