Dropped the tank on the '88 Reliant wagon...

Interesting...and not at all bad to do. Two straps, fasteners, fuel filler tube (might have managed without it, but it was only a few extra screws to just pull it) and there I was. I had more trouble getting the tank to clear my jack stands than I did getting it down. The car was undercoated when new, and it seems to have saved the majority of the underside from failure by rust. The outer edges were not undercoated, and they show it.

Someone's replaced the fuel pump, it's obvious from the new ring that fits into the side of the tank. I never saw anything quite like this before--I'm used to the pumps being mounted in the top of the tank. Looking through the filler hole, I see that there is a square plastic box--what is it?

Also, there is a pipe coming out of the sending unit area that I'm told is used to drain the fuel tank in preparation for service. It has a rubber cap on it that is badly deteriorated. It looks like fuel could slosh out while driving without it in place. Where can a person get a new one, or is there anything special about it?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh