Floor plan layout of Detroit auto show (Chrysler / Merc)

Was just looking at the floor plan of the auto show next month in Detroit.

Notice how Dodge/Chrysler/jeep and Mitsubishi occupy the same large block of floor space - with Acura tacked onto 1 of the corners? Who does Acura belong to? Honda? What a bone-head move for Chrysler to give one of their corners away like that.

And notice how Mercedes has a roughly similar sized block to Acura - but that Merc is located in an adjacent block beside Honda. Is it too far beneath Merc to locate themselves within their corporate brethren's block? We're still talking about a "merger of equals" aren't we? Sister divisions, right?

(I guess if you want to see a graphical representation of the auto maker landscape as far as affiliations go, this makes a good diagram).

Reply to
MoPar Man

There could be as much as 50% more space on the Merc stand.. and as for 'merger of equals' (personally, I would put Daimler Benz above Chrysler), while the companies may be equals in the view of some, that does not imply that they are in the same market segment.. in this way, they see fit to retain individuality.. their choice.. 1st Amendment, blah blah blah..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

If Volvo, Aston Martin, and Jaguar can be buried deep into Ford's exhibit space, and if Lexus can be cozied up against Toyota, then Merc not being included within Chrysler's exhibit space is a sign Merc arrogance or Merc is still in denial about being an "equal" to Chrysler in the Merger.

This is not trivial. This is the premier auto show in North America. This is where corporate turf takes on real meaning. Merc (or Daimler) obviously wants to present a public face that they have nothing to do with Chrysler, going so far as to distance themselves (literally) from Chrysler, while much hoopla is made in the reverse direction (parts sharing, etc).

Reply to
MoPar Man

I go to this show every year. I think you're reading *way* too much into this.

First, Mercedes is right next to Audi, both of which are upscale German brands, sold primarily to customers looking for a German-made car. It's smart to position your product right next to the competition if you're confident it does well in head-to-head comparisons. And besides that, they appear to be only about 8 feet from the Chrysler brand, just across a secondary aisle. It's not exactly like they're running away from their sister make.

Second, Acura is just across the secondary aisle from Honda, which makes perfect sense. So what if they're near Chrysler's brands? There's not a lot of product crossover, nor are there a lot of people who are going to notice, for that matter. If you've been to one of these shows--I've been going since the late 1980s--you know it's a complete and utter madhouse, and the little aisles between the brands are insignificant with all the signs and displays.

So relax. There's plenty of reason to be upset over the DCX merger; this isn't one of them.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff