Free seat belt extensions no more?

What happened to the free seat belt extensions? I've recently had my wife's Sebring convertible passed down to me. The seat belt comes out of the top of the seat and is ridiculously short. Two dealers say they're back ordered and now want $32.00 ea. Anyone know where to get one mail order? Right now I'm using a bungee cord to make it look like I'm wearing it. New York has a mandatory seat belt law and very stiff fines!

Reply to
Chris

philthy

I'm a BIG guy at 300+lbs and I only have a little slack left in my 05 Sebring, If I was much bigger I wouldn't fit in or consider a Sebring,

let me know how you make out with the extension

Reply to
Mr.X

Take a look at the following:

Here's my suggestion: If you can buy them for money from the dealer, do so. The only thing that provides any real vehicle occupant safety is the seatbelt, the rest of it is just window dressing.

If you can't get them from the dealer, then go to a wrecking yard and find a set of belts that has both sides of the buckle, that will mate into yours. Buy that set and take it to a dressmaker who can simply cut the buckle off and sew it to the other belt and now you got an extender.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Mandated safety and emissions devices have the longest warranty on most vehicles. Tour your state's transportation site and search on seat belt laws. I'd bet you'll come closer to getting a free set when you have the law printed out ready to hand to a dealer. Also, try different dealers.

Reply to
wrench