Front Disc Pad Wear Prematurely

Will a bad brake booster cause front disc pads to wear out in less than six months. The rear drum shoes are engaing while stoping and are less than 6 months old. I have had no problems with them. I have tried all types of disc pads from ceramic to heavy duty simi-matalic. I have also replaced both brake lines to the front calipers and cleaned and lubed the brake contact points. This is on a 2002 plymounth voyager and I have had this problem since I purchased it new. Each time I replaced the dics pads I have the rotors turned or replaced. Help!

Reply to
fab4 via CarKB.com

It is possible for them to malfunction and stick. You'd notice, though. At least I'd hope so.

Reply to
Joe

Will a bad brake booster cause front disc pads to wear out in less than six months.

After a drive when you do little if any braking put your hand close to the front rotors and feel if they are giving off lots of heat. If so it indicates the calipers are not moving the pads back off the rotors. If so, the first thing I would recommend is to pull the front wheels, get out the hex wrench and pull out the two hex bolts that hold the calipers in place, and then remove the bolts and the entire bushing assembly. Clean with brake cleaner all surfaces and lube everything with lots of synthetic brake lube. Replace any torn rubber parts. Replace these parts in the caliper and then run the brake heat test again. If it is still indicating that the pads are not fully retracting take it in to a dealer or service station that knows how to check out the master cylinder. The pads should last for several years or over 50,000 miles in that vehicle.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

If you have air in the rear brake lines, your rear brakes will not assist the front ones to the extent that they should, which will put an extra load on the front brakes in normal driving. This can cause premature front break wear or failure. Try bleeding your rear brake lines to see if you have air in them.

If you have this problem, you may not notice it when driving.

"fab4 via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds