Grandcaravan knock

I own a 2005 grandcaravan, 3.3L , 30k miles. The engine has a horrible consistant ping,rattle , and recently a knock. the car is still under warranty but the dealer said no codes are coming up so there is nothing that can be done untill some thing breaks. I had asked for a print out of the diagnostic check, the response," my machine does not print" An independent mechanic said it is the knock sensor, I dont even know if it is equipped with such a sensor. any clues,

Reply to
neilson5

This vehicle has no knock sensor. You need to take it back to the dealer and tell them there is a TSB (18-026-06) out that addresses that problem. It requires the replacement of the engine controller.There is no print out available to give you.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

drain engine oil into clean container, then start it up hold throttle till it breaks! pour drained oil bac into engine and then have it towed in

typical dealer bullshit resp> I own a 2005 grandcaravan, 3.3L , 30k miles. The engine has a horrible

Reply to
philthy

Typical fired Chrysler Tech answer

Reply to
maxpower

This vehicle has no knock sensor. You need to take it back to the dealer and tell them there is a TSB (18-026-06) out that addresses that problem. It requires the replacement of the engine controller.There is no print out available to give you.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

well I got my car back today and the same results, they say there is no problem, no codes are coming up, the pinging, rattle usually starts right away but the knock is not as consistant and starts when the car is warm.on a proir visit, a new pcm was installed. is this the controller mentioned? could this be a timig problem or the start of more serious engine problems? either way i know that this problem is doing damage little by little. any suggestions? thank you

Reply to
neilson5

U shouldn't be experiencing any pinging. The use of a high octane fuel could be putting deposits on the pistons and heads causing the ping . Are you using 87 octane fuel? Did you advise them of the TSB? And what is the part number of the PCM on the repair invoice? And are we hearing some other type of noise that isn't a ping?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Yes the first dealer told me to go up a grade and we did for 2 fills and even changed gas stations, we are now back to 87 I did advised of the TSB and they said I have the latest software. Im sure i do? After driving the van it appears that it more of a rattle sound mostly accelerating. my wife is the primary driver she says it will rattle constant and it will start to knock usually at a slow speed.

FP number: 68003593-aa module PO: 8035029

Prior to this we had a gear whine in the trans. the following was replaced FP # 5010884-AA sealer RT 1081003 FP# 5013457-AA Oil Autom 1081018

the vehicle also need a new alternator FP # 68003593-AA Modual PO 8035029

Also replaced was the upper intake manifold

FP # 4781577-AF Plenum in 9048008

Reply to
neilson5

could i be mistaking an engine rattle with a transmission problem?

Reply to
neilson5

Anything is possible!!

Reply to
maxpower

I know anything is possible, I dont know where to go , the dealers 3 of them dont seem to know where to go, the dealer i purchased the van at admits there is a problem, but wont fix it, he said i would have to wait for it to break. im trying to get what i paid for .If i could trade it in i would but the depreciation in just 5 months, will cost $3000.00. I just dont know how 5 star dealers can be so inexperienced as to not diagnose the problem.

Reply to
neilson5

Document the HELL out of everything. Who said what, what date and time. Keep taking the vehicle back there. Review your state lemon laws.

Sounds like the dealer is just trying to stall you till the warranty period is up then claim they can't do anything. You might see about investing in an extended warranty if you can still buy one from the dealer. Review your warranty carefully, know what you have to do, call the Chrysler 800 line and document what they tell you.

Another thing to check is it might be possible that the rattling is broken grids inside the catalyatic converter, and not the engine at all.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...