It must be really easy to steal Toyota Highlanders ...

Just saw this story being reported on my 11 pm news. Looked it up on the net (see below).

These cars seem to have a push-button ignition, but probably you still have to have the right key-fob close enough to the car to disable the theft system and unlock the doors.

It appears that these cars can be stolen by simulating a key-fob code with a laptop computer connected to appropriate transmitter / tranceiver. I thought there was supposed to be a rolling-code scheme where you can't use the same code sequence twice.

I've read where the only way to foil a rolling-code mechanism is to bring your own ignition computer and wire it up in place of the car's original computer if you want to drive it away.

And not needing a physical key to start the car once you've fooled the ignition computer with a fake code is another shortcoming of the system.

Another explanation is an inside job - someone at a local dealership was able to make copies of the fobs, and knows where the vehicles live. Could easily be done any time the vehicles are brought in for regular maintainence - just add an extra fob code to the vehicle's computer.

Once they had done that to enough vehicles, they hit them all in one night. I'd be looking for a recently-hired Toyota dealership service tech - possibly one who is suddenly no longer showing up for work.

-----------------

TORONTO ? The Canadian Press Published on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2009

2:50PM EST Last updated on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2009 2:55PM EST

Police say thieves stole six Toyota Highlander SUVs in a Toronto neighbourhood overnight.

Owners reported the vehicles were stolen from driveways around the Leaside neighbourhood (in the Bayview and Eglinton Avenues area).

Investigators call the concentrated thefts of a single-style vehicle ?highly unusual.?

Authorities say they are still trying to determine if an organized crime ring is behind the thefts.

They are also trying to determine if the thieves used ?proximity keys? to steal electric codes from lock systems ? a new technology available on the Toyota Highlander.

One man told CTV he still has both sets of keys to his stolen vehicle, and police advised him thieves can use a laptop computer to compromise the vehicle's keyless operational system. (CTV)

Reply to
MoPar Man

john

In2, he said "anybody in their *RIGHT* mind..."

Hey...wait a minute...I've had a '94 LHS, a '92 Caravan, 2 Grand V'gers and now have another Grand Caravan...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I think the reason is that demand is highest for parts for that vintage Toyotas and Hondas, and the reason that the demand is highest is because more of them are registered.

Reply to
Ray O

The was an article in the newspaper in my area after some folks were caught stealing some Toyota Camry's. The article stated that the theives were in possesion of a master key that would unlock and start most Camry's. It was popular in the early 90's to just break the steering column on most domestic cars so you can reach the rods that the key turned. Good thing the cars today or not like that.

Reply to
Licker

My Mother loves hers. I wouldn't mind borrowing accasionaly when I need seats for 7 people.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White