Transmission problem - prep before seeing mechanic

I'm beginning to have an issue with my transmission and would like to educate myself before I head to the shop.

Vehicle:

1999 Grand Voyager LE 3.3L not sure of the transmision, I think it is 3 speed

Symtom: Get in car in the morning, drive normally one block to fiorst stop sign, then seems to not be in drive and can't move forward, put in reverse and no change, keep switching from R to D until finally car will move, then no further difficulty the rest of the day.

History: The solenoid group was replaced Dec 2007, ATF+4 put in. The shop where I had this work done is no longer in business FWIW.

Fluid level appears to be OK.

What should I believe from a mechanic?

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

how exactly did you check the fluid level? read the dipstick to be sure but most likely it will say check hot, idling in park.

Reply to
Rob

Good question. I know the engine was off. I'll check again tomorrow when the sun is out.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

i ask because it sounds like it was low and needed to refill the pan or something. let it run a while and get to operating temp first.

Reply to
Rob

He said the engine was off. Think that might be a clue? :)

Reply to
Bill Putney

If you have the three-speed, there probably is not much to check before you take it in, except to check the fluid as suggested. The fact that you mention a solenoid replacement leads me to believe it is a four-speed.

If it is the 4 speed, the shop can connect a scan tool and dump any stored codes. This is how I found out the problems that mine had. It was a tool made by Sun (not Microsystems). It seem like he drilled down into several menus to get all the bad news.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

also when you go to check it, smell it for a burnt smell. check to see if its shows some small amounts of fine particles in it as well ( most likely just clutch material), or does it look like lots of fine metal in it?

also is the check engine light on? if the trans is full and all looks good, it wouldn't hurt to have it scanned for trans codes, as there may be some historical codes from a previous occurrence even with no check engine light, but first lets make sure its full. you say it was worked on back in

  1. I'm wondering if they might not have sealed the pan correctly and you've been slowly seeping some trans fluid to the point your low now, or maybe a small leak at a seal.

it could also be a worn piston not sealing properly until it gets warmed up enough to expand but you don't see that much in both forward and reverse......although it is possible. and in that situation ( in a perfect world) it would set a check engine light and set some current codes in the computer.

by the way.how many miles on this machine?

Reply to
Rob

The transverse 3.3/3.8 (same block, different bore and stroke) will only mate to 1 transmission and that is the A604/41TE (name change) full electronic 4 speed. There are no others that will bolt up.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

So, if he does have a 'three speed', that's probably the trouble!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have never, EVER been able to 'read' an AT dipstick! I usually avoid the problem by getting a 5-speed M/T...

Then I fill it up, check, and now we're WAY over full, but most cars have a 'vent' on the AT, so I drive for 50 miles with a 'cloaking' plume behind the car! ;p

It usually vents ATF directly on the catalytic converter...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A 'trans service' on these is REALLY easy, but would be easier if Chrysler were like Toyota and put a drain plug in the pan...

If you can spin a wrench, you can do a drain and fill on this tranny.

The pan is at the front driver's side of the engine, with something like

18 10mm bolts holding it in. What I do is remove the bolts from the pan at the rear side first, and then loosen the rest. ATF will come out from the back of the pan, have something about the size of your cat's liiter pan to catch it. Loosen/remove more bolts until more trans fluid comes out, then more and then just remove the pan and pour the remainder into the catch basin. You can see the filter right there, a good tug removes it from the transmission. Take the new one you bought at AutoZone for ~$18, snap it in place, put the new gasket that came with it on the pan (I put the gasket on the pan and then put the bolts in place, the gasket will hold them in place) and then bolt the pan back on to the tranny. I finger-tighten the four corners to hold it in place, then finger tighten the rest (or use a 10mm socket with an extension; this can actually be harder because by now you have tranny fliud on your latex gloves and it's SLIPPERY!). Get the bolts finger tight and then tighten them criss-cross going around the pan.

Take an empty gallon container and pour the fluid into it. When you get to a gallon you know you need four quarts; get another gallon container and it should fill it halfway, for 6 quarts total. Tighten the pan (just in case you didn't) and pour 6 quarts of either a quality ATF+4 or genuine MOPAR ATF+4. Did I mention to use ATF+4? If not, make sure you get some ATF+4. Are you getting the message that you want to use ATF+4? BTW, Use AFT+4. NOTHING BUT ATF+4!!!! And a funnel with a long filler neck that will fit into the tube where the dipstick is. Pour in the proper amount of ATF+4 and then start the engine and set the e-brake and put the trans in N. Run it until the engine gets to operating temp, then run the shifter from N to 3 to N to R a couple times. Er, keep your foot on the brake...

Put the shifter back into N and check the fluid. Wipe the stick, put it back in, pull it and wipe it again, and then replace it for a minute or two. Then pull it and have a look. The level by now should be at FULL/HOT. If it isn't even up to FULL/COLD, add another quart and repeat the shift lever movement. Check it again. If it is at least to FULL/COLD, go for a short ride, 4-5 miles, come back, set the brake, put it in N and check it agian. By now it should read FULL/HOT, if not, add more.

Did I mention to use ATF+4? If it is now full, go for a ride again. I would then park it, let it cool, and then go for another ride. If your problem is fixed, YAY!! If not, sux to be you...

Even if it didn't solve the problem, you might want to repeat the procedure for draining, because if anyone ever used anything but ATF+4 you're going to have trouble. You might have to do it three or four times (I think Chrysler recommends 4) to remove any 'contaminant' (ie, anything but ATF+4) from the transmission.

You can take it somewhere and have it 'flushed', and I would say, "DON'T!!!" I called a place we used to do business with to get my LHS trans fluid replaced, and he said, "We use a generic ATF and add the proper modifiers". Err....um...thanks. Then I did it myself using the above method. But I used ATF+3 (ATF+4 wasn't out yet...)

ATF+4 is compatible with ATF+3, so if it has ATF+3 you can add ATF+4 without worry.

Another thing you can have done to this is to take it to a Chrysler dealer and have the transmission 'flashed', or reprogrammed. It should have been done by now, but one never knows. Usually a dealer will put a sticker that reads, IIRC, "Software Update V.XXX Perormed" somewhere on the hood or the front piece under the hood. If there is no such sticker it probably needs to be reprogrammed as well.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

138.8K.

It appears low fluid was the immediate problem.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

The receipt from the 2007 repair had the following note:

1 31A-100 SOLENOID GROUP A604

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Daniel correctly identified the transmission as a 4 speed. My assumption of it being a 3 speed was based solely on the markings on the dash:

P R N D 3 L

Would I be correct to note the 4th speed is probably an overdrive?

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Yes.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yes 4th gear is an overdrive (3rd is direct), torque converter lockup is possible in 3rd and 4th, and 2nd/reverse are hard coded into the valve body so if you remove the EATX fuse you will only have 2nd and reverse. "limp home" or "crawl home" mode is in reality just the electronic equivalent of the TCM saying "I give up", throwing up its arms, and removing all power from the solenoid pack which causes the trans to revert back to hard coded mode.

My vehicle: White '95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L 2wd, ~223,000-~233,000 miles. Previous vehicle: Burgundy '92 Dynasty 3.3 w/ vinyl roof over rear windshield ~180,000-252,736 miles (spun rod bearing due in part to sister running it out of oil.)

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Exactly. Someone has studied the schematics.

Reply to
Bill Putney

glad to hear it. now the question you'll want tackle is, what caused it to be low? a small leak somewhere?

Reply to
Rob