Re: 94 Concorde A/C electrical problem

Same thing happened to me on my 94' LHS (3.5 engine) this summer. After

> looking over the troubleshooting section in my Service manual it mentioned > that I could have a bad pressure transducer for the AC. The first signs > that this sensor would be going bad are irrational functioning of the > radiator fans. Mine would run for no reason when the car was first started > (doesn't do it anymore since I replaced the transducer). Also, mine quit > when driving in a downpour of rain. I figured that the rain probably > caused the sensor finally give out (who knows for sure). I picked up the > sensor at the dealer for $75 plus tax. It's a simple unbolt and bolt in > replacement along with a couple of new wires that you have to cut and solder > back on. Nothing terrible though. Fixed mine in about 30 minutes. Works > as good as new. And yes the sensor supplies a variable voltage to the > head/body computer ckt. The sensor is a 3 wire deal. +5 volts, signal > voltage from xducr, and ground. Simple.

Good answer, but not the right one. My first suspicion was lost refrigerant; my second was the transducer. But the A/C shop was able to turn on and run the A/C using a scan tool. If the transducer had been bad, the A/C would not have run (apparent lost pressure prevents clutch engagement). And the scan tool lets you test transducer readings...

Regards, Chris Beall

Reply to
Chris Beall

Check the solder connections on the PC board inside the control head that make the connection to the vehicle harness. The are notorious for cold solder joints....

Reply to
Sam Man

Yeah, your right. A scan tool can turn on the a/c. And my service manual also mentions that the scan tool can override the pressure transducer functionality. That's a function of the scan tool. Also, the transducer has a simple test that can be performed. I found it on the web by just doing a search for it. Basically you put a 1.5 volt batter across the signal and ground ckt side by the transducer and if the a/c comes on and the fans work then it's a bad transducer. On mine the transducer was going out for a while and was doing weird intermittent things like turning the fans on even though the a/c wasn't on. All it takes a weird reference signal passed to the body computer to turn the fans on. Also, you mention that you can test the transducer by checking it's readings. The only problem with that is that it doesn't guarantee that the sensor is good. The 1.5 volt battery trick does that. So, by your final comments it appears yours is fixed. What was the repair ?

Stevem....

Reply to
Steve m...

I did take a look at that. They looked OK, though I didn't use a magnifying glass, which I usually would. Since I was getting a clean voltage drop at the output, I didn't think a continuity problem was likely. That's assuming the .4 VDC 'on' voltage is correct...

Also looked for cracked or overheated parts on the CB. Everything looked clean.

Chris Beall

Reply to
Chris Beall

transducer

No, still unknown. We dropped it at the dealer tonight. I expect them to call tomorrow and want to replace the control head. They've already acknowledged that if they guess wrong they'll restore the old part and try again. I'm not sure the A/C shop would have been willing to do that (the escalating repair gambit). The dealer service manager showed no interest whatever in prior diagnostic attempts, so they'll start from scratch. Maybe that's what is needed, but I'm skeptical.

Chris Beall

Reply to
Chris Beall