Re: Chinese-made cars will not be cheaper than domestics

Think Japanese cars. Toyota Coronas sold for $1800 when intoduced. Once

> we got hooked, they jacked up the prices to American levels. The Chinese > will do the same after they wipe out Ford.

It is only our politicians that keep us from buying a Tata Nano for $2600.

Detrot doesn't buy my products, why should I buy theirs? It is going to be a question many are going to ask after GM & Chrysler are bilking the taxpayers including myself.

It is why I will not by a auto again that has a GM, Chrysler, GMAC, UAW or CAW part in it.

So Chinese and India vehicles have appeal. Bring them on.... and Ford does make non-UAW stuff imported....

Pick my pocket, your business can go to hell.

Reply to
Canuck57

Actually, it's NHTSA.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And does NHTSA run the administration, congress and the senate?

Reply to
Canuck57

Because our gov'ts will attempt to protect domestic and jack up the cost of imports.

Reply to
labatyd

They do not jack up they jack off

Reply to
Björn

They do not jack up they jack off

----- Funny, my sediments with GM/CAW/UAW/Chrysler/Delco/GMAC exactly.

Reply to
Canuck57

It's simple economics. If the Chinese build all our cars they will want higher pay, to bring their standard of living up to ours. Add the transportation and the handling charges on top, and give GM (or whoever imports them) their profit, and within a few years it will be cheaper to build CHINESE vehicles in North America than in China, just like it is now cheaper to build Toyota and Honda cars for North American consumption in North America than to build them in Japan.

In that respect the market IS self regulating.

Reply to
clare

Despite your prejudices the Smart is not "a crap box", even if the AMG version may cost a lot.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Actually, not necesarily for the time being. I gather (not from here) that the Nano is still poor for safety, though that may change in future (with its price going up).

Furthermore, my 1993 Merc 190E has a market value of somewhere between zero and scrap, but I bet it's still a safer bet than a Tata Nano.

It is also interesting to note that the export version of the Nano will have more features.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Around here if you can find a running car that will pass inspection (both safety and emissions) for less than $4K you're doing all right. I just don't see a whole lot of them for sale.

If you are near DC and your merc has a manual transmixer and will pass inspection, I'd be happy to give you scrap value for it. Maybe even a little more if I'm feeling generous :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Well, it just failed the UK MoT test, the annual roadworthiness test carried out on cars >3 yr...

However, it's all wear-and-tear items, the rusty silencer section (I think you all them "muffler") being the most expensive. And that had not been renewed for many years. A light knob came off. Costs about a pound... Nothing structural.

Something else I can't remember but will be paying for...

The great think about an old car is that one does not care so much about scratches and bumps. A great advantage when 'in conflict' with newer cars... whose drivers know this...

So, not selling...not yet, anyway.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling