Re: Do Recalls Cost Customer Anything?

Say Chrysler recalls all its cars for a defective door latch, air bag, or

> fuel pump connection. Anything, it doesn't matter. That must cost a great > deal of money.

That would depend on the recall

Are the service managers instructed to suggest additional work on unrelated > matters to help offset the cost of recalls? For instance, while my car is > up on the rack, for say replacement of a recalled set of rear shocks, is > the mechanic looking for worn brake shoes to tell the s.m. so the s.m. can > scare me into buying an expensive brake job I don't need?

I have never heard of someone trying to scare someone into buying work, Recalls to me are also a form of advertisement, and they bring new customers to the dealer, and yes if the recall calls for raising the vehicle we will give it a quick check over. Just as we would any other customers vehicle

> Does a dealer mechanic get a commission on work sold to the hapless > customer? He should, because the service manager would never have found > those worn out brake shoes if it wasn't for the keen eye of the mechanic. > What's worse is when a lube mechanic finds metal to metal brake shoes, gets > not a nickel commission for selling the job, and he doesn't get any labor > split because the brake man does the brake job

Most get paid a flat rate. Some are on salary. The service manager gets paid by the hour we turn.

> I don't think that's fair. If the lube jockey finds bad brakes he should > do the brake job and collect the labor split, not the brake man.

I dont think I would want a lube jockey performing work on my vehicle, normally they are young kids

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower