Recalls

I've just had a front strut spring mounting break off on my E39 BMW 528. Wrecked the tyre, but no other damage (other than the strut, of course). Discovered there was a re-call for this in the US in 2004. But not, according to the AA site, in the UK. Anyone got a better site for UK re-calls?

The car has a FMDSH up until last year at the dealer it was bought new from. Can I expect any help from BMW? The quote (from an independant) to do the job including recovery and new tyre is over 600 quid - replacing both struts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would have thought a call to Trading Standards or a good 'brief' would possibly be a good starting point. Exactly what was the actual recall notice in the US? If BMW implemented a recall due to a key component quality problem like this, there must be otheres in Europe who have had similar experiences? Sounds pretty damn hairy though. I wouldn't fancy that happening at anything over walking pace!

JB

Reply to
JB

I would have thought that if it represented a serious life-threatening danger, then a call to BBC's watchdog, including some photos of the damage and details of the US recall for the same problem would be well in order if BMW don't wish to co-operate.

Reply to
Ivan

If the service history is not forged as so many are, if the item was not checked and changed if appropriate - yes you can claim from BMW. It would be down to them to check for recalls and deal with them appropriately. You need to check with a BMW main dealer who will show you the service history and previous owner details on computer. It is a national database. if BMW have had the car in and not dealt with the recall you can sue them. They will cover the costs rather than suffer bad publicity or a nationwide panic from other worried customers.

Reply to
ray

But only for a _country-specific_ recall as I understand it. No official UK recall? Tough shit Mr customer. JB

Reply to
JB

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

all VOSA recalls - which may well not be all manufacturer recalls. I'd think you'd need to check with BMW themselves or a dealer for that... Nearest would appear to be :-

Reference : R/2002/025 Manufacturer Ref : Make: BMW Model : E46, E39, 3 & 5 Series Launch Date : 22/02/2002 Numbers Involved : 2023 Build Start Date : 06/11/2001 Build End Date : 20/11/2001

Details Concern : POSSIBLE DETACHMENT OF BALL BEARING FROM FRONT SUSPENSION STRUT TOP MOUNTING Description : It is possible that the ball bearing in the front suspension strut top mounting may not have been securely fitted. If the weight of the car is taken off of the road wheel for any reason the bearing may became displaced with a risk of personal injury or damage to the suspension. Remedial Action : Replace both front suspension strut mounts. Vehicle Id : Various

Reply to
Adrian

IMO you should be able to claim, but my gut feeling is that BMW will say it's down to fair wear and tear. Even though unless it is very badly corroded, or has been damaged in some way, it should never fail. I still think it must be down to faulty manufacturing, but even if it definitely is, I think you'll have a problem convincing BMW of that after so many years. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "JB" saying something like:

If there was a known problem in the US model (and assuming it's exactly the same componentry) the BMW would be damned foolish and wouldn't have a strut to stand on if it went to court in the event of a serious accident being caused by strut collapse. I think a good (or not so good, come to that) lawyer could hang them out to dry on something like this and it's probably something BM wouldn't like to have around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon