Re: What happened to thermostat regulated climate control?

I remember a car where you set and forget the thermostat to 72 degrees and

> the climate control system heats and cools as needed. No need to move > levers back and forth, trial and error style to get the cabin to a > comfortable state. > > GM had this, I believe. Is it offered by D-C? > > Maybe if they had systems like this, Kookorian wouldn't be buying out > Chrysler for a song. >

I hope you're joking, George, but I just can't tell. This came out in the

1960's, and it's still around.
Reply to
Joe

It's called ATC.

Bill Putney

Chrysler's unit in the 300M was the best I've ever had. Even knew when to defrost. Toyota's and Honda's auto climate control are a joke by comparison. I've owned all 3 plus a Ford Taurus with ATC in 91. That was better than the 2001 Toyota and current Honda units too.

Reply to
Art

When I bought my '04 Caravan, it had the dual temp levers (so driver & passenger could have different temp levels). It occurred to me that if I set one all the way up and the other all the way down, maybe I'd get a line of thunderstorms between the front bucket seats...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Only car with automatic climate control I've owned is my Porsche 944, and it works great. Unless it's summer and/or the windshield is fogging up, I never even think about touching the controls.

nate

Art wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Chrysler's unit is good (and utilizes the sun sensor on the dashboard in its decision making), but I've noticed some weird things with it:

1.) The defroster (with the defroster icon lit) is turned on much more than really necessary. Not a huge deal, but the a/c compressor is cycling when ambient exterior temperature is over about 30 degrees, which is something I'd like to keep to a minimum for the job both for wear/tear and high energy consumption. 2.) When neither the defroster nor the a/c (snowflake) icons lit, I can often hear the a/c compressor cycling. It's not hard to hear in my car given the fairly large hiss it makes 2-4 times a minute when the clutch engages. (The hiss and frequent cycles are claimed to be normal by the dealer and factory rep since day 1 of the car). Why does it turn on the a/c when the display doesn't indicate defrost or a/c? I have no clue.

Some other observations:

a.) I can often hear the air doors making frequent tiny adjustments. It's trying to get the temperature setting "just right."

b.) When you open the door, you can just barely hear a little fan inside the dashboard console turn on for about 30 seconds (until you start then engine) to allow the interior temperature sensor inside to feel interior air.

I almost always use manual mode and appreciate the temperature setting control. If I want warm air both near my hands and feet, I select it. The ATC system and electric air doors has proven to be more reliable than the old GM manual systems that relied on vacuum to move the dampers.

Reply to
Greg Houston

I have the Chrysler ATC system on my '95 LH. I'm only partially pleased with it so don't run it in full manual mode. The auto temperature aspect of it is OK most of the time, although manual override is necessary when we are cold and it is putting out cool air. The sun seems to be causing this. The auto fan control is not good, so to avoid having the fan running full speed creating much noise I always operate the fan manually.

Reply to
Some O