Renting 300C, Magnum or Charger

Not strictly true: it is legal to overtake on the left hand side on a one-way road.

I was told by a UK policeman some years back, during a lecture on road safety, that there is not an explicit ban on overtaking on the left on a motorway. He then pointed out that a motorway is really 2 one-way roads side by side. I think if you were to be charged for overtaking on the left, it would be for some vague offense such as "dangerous driving", "driving without due care and attention", etc..

I think it is explicitly legal to overtake on the left if there are

2 or more streams of traffic and the left hand stream is moving faster than the right-hand stream.
Reply to
Whoever

Yes, in heavy traffic. And at low speed only, IIRC. (Don't ask me what mph, I think it is a matter of disgression.)

Mind you, I'd hate to change lanes when a full motorway-load is moving at c.

90 mph (which I have experienced more than once).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Things HAVE improved and I have seen cases where, say, a 2.0 l engine consumes as much as or slightly more than a 2.3.

However, I don't think a 3.5 will use as little as a 2-litre in a similar car.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think the problem is that at anything less than wide open throttle, there are pumping losses that are inherent in normal gasoline engine design. The only way to counter this is to reduce the effective cylinder volume (eg. Atkinson cycle or Miller cycle) or remove the throttle (eg. diesel engine).

Reply to
Whoever

Found the 2.7L Magnum strippie & rented it from Enterprise here in Portland. 23.4mpg at avg 80MPH up and down the I-5 mountain passes for Thanksgiving. Found acceleration better tham my 3.0L 1995 4Runner. Like it. Enterprise will sell some of their soon, and I just may get one, if the other rides on my "A" list don't measure up.

Reply to
John Bartley

Oddly enough, got 23.1mpg, on the same run, in a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring (slushbox, normally-aspirated), same trip down & up I-5 last weekend. The Magnum was more nimble and accelerated much better. Go figure.

Reply to
John Bartley