Serpentine Belt Tensioner Nut Torque

I can't find the correct torque value for the nut on the serpentine belt tensioner bolt in my '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager's factory shop manual. It's a 3.8L engine. Also couldn't find the remove/install information for this critical part. Boo to Chrysler (pre-Daimler) for this oversight. Thanks for your help.

Jim Scott

Reply to
Jim Scott

Check the bolt/nut torque specs in the charts area. Match the size, threads and quality and use that torque spec.

Reply to
Henry Bemis

Bottom posting here:

Easier said than done. The head of the bolt is inside the tensioner spring housing and can't be seen. I'll assume that bolt is marked the same as the one which affixes the pulley to the bracket; it's 9.6 strength metric. The housing bolt/stud is 10 mm, so extrapolating between the shop manual's metric 8.8 chart and the next strength chart up, 10.9, the proper torque is about 40 ft. lbs., which seems a little low for a part subjected to such constant stress/vibration loads. Both bolts have 15 mm head/nut.

Anyone want to give me the precise torque value?

Reply to
Jim Scott