Steering problems with Stratus?

Does anyone knows if its normal that a new steering part has to be replaced after a year and a half? It's quite a expensive part (app. $1200,-) and the dealer could'nt give me any garenty that the part will last longer then 2 years. I'm thinking about to get a used part (app. $165,00 + $ 500,00 to place it) Is there anybody out there that had the same experience or knows that it's a commen failure with a Stratus?

Reply to
Rob Hess

--

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Is it a warranty repair?

Art Begun

Rob, are you in Netherlands? What year stratus, and is it still on warranty? In the US the warranty was 3 years, 36,000 miles, but it may be more now.

Anyway, I had a steering rack replaced on my 97 stratus, under warranty. The problem will show up when the car is cold, when you make your first sharp turn. Made sort of a howling sound, almost like a horn, and gave some vibration to the steering wheel.

This is one of the (few) common problems of the stratus. More recently, people have posted saying it has something to do with particles clogging the steering hydraulics, I think, and the whole rack may not need to be replaced. But I don't know what the cheaper fix is.

Gook luck.

Reply to
Steve Driska