Suzuki/Consumer Union lawsuit dismissed

I believe there was a long thread on this several months ago in this group. Both sides agreed to disagree regarding the validitiy of the CU rollover test and to dismiss the case. No money changed hands (except to, their respective lawyers, I am sure). Suzuki said they were happy to clean the slate and Consumer Reports said that once again no one has been successful sueing them over the published results of one of their tests. (Though I believe CU once settled with Bose who did not think their review of their speakers was fair.)

Reply to
Art

That lawsuit was stupid anyway. When CU wrote about it in April I sent GM and Suzuki my reply about it. I basically told them that that Samurai was junk and that was why sales plummented. Not because of some CU response. It was easy to see that it was a cheaply built (and crappy) SUV (if you can even call it that). I got a nice "keep your mind open" letter back from their lawyers which I promptly threw out. In the press article about the dismiss they mentioned that Suzuki has 2 new SUV's coming out. In my letter to them I said that it would be inappropriate to buy a SUV from them if they are sueing the press over a demeaning article. Why would anyone trust them if it is true and the press is being forced to comply by lawsuits. I'm glad to see it's over.

Reply to
Steve m...

What I thought was interesting is that, if I understood the press release properly, Suzuki did not sue at the initial report but years later when Consumer Reports put the unacceptable rating on a time line they published.

Reply to
Art

True story: I had heard about the failed test in CU on the radio while driving on the interstate in NY and there on the side of the road was a rolled over Suzuki SUV. What are the odds?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

FWIW the Samurai is actually a pretty decent low-cost off-roader, for all values of off-roader which equal "driving trails off-road for pleasure", not for those which equal "driving 80mph on the freeway and planning an off-road excursion some time in the next twenty years." I have seen them accomplish some very difficult climbs, particuarly once fitted with the proper wheels and tires.

On-road, yeah, they're a menace, and they *do* tend to rust out before their time.

Reply to
Jack Baruth