Outside Temp Indicator failed

I have a 97 Chrysler Town & Country. During a trip to California, the outside temp indicator began to report erratically, then quit. It now shows 0 degrees. Is this a sensor problem?

I finished the trip with my typical mileage, so I don't think the loss has affected engine performance at all, so is this just an annoyance?

Thanks,

Dave D.

Reply to
Dave Doering

The 2 most likely problems to occur with the sensor (or circuit) are an open circuit which would cause an "OC" display in the overhead console or a short circuit in the sensor or sensor circuit, which would display an "SC" in the overhead console.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Excellent. Now that I look at it, the readout DOES say 0C, which I took to mean Zero Degrees Centigrade--not Open Circuit.

Given that, is there a repair procedure for an OC?

Thanks

Dave D.

Reply to
Dave Doering

Most likely culprit would seem to be the temperature sensor which is located in the front grill area. Unless you had the ceiling console or the dash out, I'd suggest a physical inspection to make sure that some road debris did not damage it or the wiring.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman