Swap out Cherokee 4.0 with a Slant 6?

The slant 6 brings back fond memories of my dad's 63 Valiant and 77 Volare. The straight 4.0 in the Cherokee is not my favorite powerplant. Would it be realistic to expect I can drop a slant 6 into a cherokee? I'd really like my son to see a real workhorse American Iron engine.

Reply to
Jim Y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, it was written:

The 4.0 *is* a real workhorse American iron engine. It's an updated AMC

258. The Slant-6 would not be anything even remotely close to a drop-in on any Cherokee, and you'd never pass emissions.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Agreed, but I want my son to be able to say "my daddy" drives a slant 6. The AMC engine was never well known. The Slant 6 is legendary

Reply to
Jim Y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, it was written:

So go get a Slant-6 car or truck and drive it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Actually the AMC engine is well known in the AMC circles, the 4.0L stock is a pretty potent mill. There's a couple of guys that put one in a Hornet with some mods to the mill and run a 12 sec. in the 1/4 mile at the local track. A 4.0L wrangler with 3.73's would run circles around my hyperpaked Feather Duster unfortunately...You'd spend a lot of money trying to get the slant to perform up to the fuel injected 4.0L standards...

If you're wanting to get into the whole slant six 'thing' try over at

and look over the articles and read some of the back posts.

Good luck, maybe a 1977 Slant six Ramcharger with 4.11's offy intake,headers, etc...might be a better choice for you...

Reply to
Rob Armstrong

Where would I locate a Slant 6 in running condition. Don't think many are really on the road.

Reply to
Jim Y

The 4.0 is probably as good as a slant 6.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

your local 'nickel ads' your local classified ads

Rob Armstrong

Hundreds and thousands of old Dodge Pickups with slant sixes are still on the road. Quite a few Volarie/Aspen and Dart/Valiant as well. Even a good number of full size Dodge and Plymouth cars are still running, If the body stayed together, it's still running - because the old engines were almost bullet-proof. And they COULD be made to go - and go well. Didn't have to throw a LOT of money at them either - but the 4.0 HO AMC engine is definitely easier to get the performance out of - it was a killer engine right out of the box (would out-pull a LOT of 302 Ford and 304 AMC vehicles, as well as a lot of 318s.

Reply to
clare

How old is your son, 40? Who the heck is he going to talk about that cares about a slant 6? I know it's great, but the 4.0 is venerable in its own right.

Reply to
Joe