Dodge Neon - Problem with Stereo

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon with a Sony CD player installed many years ago. Recently, both left side speakers (front and back) stopped working. The system works perfectly from the right channel (both front and rear).

I could not think of a single point-of-failure that would affect both left-side speakers but not the right side. I don't think it's very likely that both speakers died on the same day.

I purchased a new Sony stereo, figuring the most likely option was that the left-side amp of the sony had blown (and the new one is much cooler ... mp3 support!).

The new stereo exhibits the same problem :(

So, does anybody know of a single point-of-failure in the Dodge Neon which could affect only the left side speakers, without affecting the right side too? Is there perhaps a common ground someplace?

Thanks.

Rich Woodland.

Reply to
Richard Z Woodland

Door speakers and frameless windows. Your speakers are wet and distorted and the voice coil is shorting on the frame of the speaker.

Reply to
Ryan Fraser

Reply to
mic canic

The problem the OP described was exactly the same problem I had in my 97 Neon. The shorted voice coil in the door speaker kills the entire channel. He can replace head units until the cows come home. Most people who actually own Neons are aware of this.

Reply to
Ryan Fraser

Ryan Fraser wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

And some Neon owners who didn't know this, know now. Thanks for the info, Ryan. :)

Reply to
Glenn Shaw

Reply to
mic canic