T&C fan on after engine off?

I remember for quite a while, my 1999 T&C will keep blowing air for a few minutes especially in summer after the engine was turned off. One time, it would not stop and my neighbor helped me unplug the fuse to stop it from draining battery. Also I remember that I put the fuse back after battery checked. Now, I don't see the fan blowing even at the past hot summer.

Was the van wrongly running the fan before or the fan is not working now? I am confused! My other two Japanese cars do not blow air after engine turned off. Was it a Chrysler design or defect?

Reply to
harry

Probably a sticking fan relay. This is not supposed to occur.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Scott S.

What Dan said. I think they purposely disable the fan with the ignition off for liability purposes - so that someone doesn't pop the hood and stick their hand in a fan that is off and it suddenly come on. I use to re-wire my cars so that the fan could come on whenever the sensor was calling for it regardless of ingition switch state. With integrated computer contorls, I can't easily do that anymore.

Bill Putney

I think they purposely disable the fan with the ignition off 'cause it doesn't need to be on. The only reason electric fan after-run was common in the '80s was because it cooled down carbureted engine bays to reduce or eliminate percolation.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern