The Road to a Bailout They Don't Deserve

Perhaps the USA spends more on healthcare because there are so many opportunistic individuals and insureds out there that want to get "their money's worth", even if they aren't paying for it? Perhaps another reason is all of the latest and greatest medical devices, machines, or whatever that we seem to demand?

There is a HUGE number of people involved in the billing and collection of medical bills. Even in Medicare, there are some ins and outs of coverages and codes, by observation. If the coding might not be done correctly or misinterpreted, it CAN lead to large expenses which the insured has to pay.

It has seemed strange how far behind the billing can be from when the office visit took place. It also seems like "a waste" to send the insured a bill for 92 cents for the part of the office visit or procedure that Medicare or the insurance company didn't cover. If you've been there, you can relate, I suspect, by observation.

And then you have doctors who might not release their patients to go back to work as soon as they might. Or order tests that might not be really needed, other than to ensure the lastest test is current and done to their specs. Some of these things might be driven by malpractice issues, but some also seem to be driven "by opportunity". with all due respect.

Our USA system might have many inefficiencies or ballooned costs in it, but to fix it would require a complete culture change for many in that industry AND for the insureds. It seems that every time I hear a radio show extolling the virtues of socialized medicine or how much better the Canadian system might be, I also hear about many other things which are not as good as our system is and THOSE things will matter to a whole lot of people in the USA.

It has become a system driven by PPOs and such, which negotiate their rates with the doctors. If you are a doctor and need business, you'll probably become aligned with one of the PPO systems. In those systems, all doctors now seem to be "generic" with one being as good as another, it seems, as reliance upon the licensing board to do their job is where the buck gets passed to rather than a physician's personal knowledge of another physician's medical background, experience, or demeanor.

Regards,

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

Might this be another "point of reference" situation?

Many seem to use the Canadian system as their panacea, but the facts seem to indicate otherwise (from other sources, too).

Regards,

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

"Sad" because he didn't buy into your orientation? Where's the bullet-proof "stand up in court" information to counter his argument OR support yours?

Diverse orientations can make for good discussions unless one party wants their orientation to be accepted "as fact" without any supporting information or evidence--whether in this situation or others.

Regards,

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

PBS, being a "funded" entity, typically, might not have had the necessary funding to travel to Oz and fully investigate the situation down-under for this report. Trying to use one resource in this discussion can have its pitfalls.

Regards,

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

I think "Mr. Higgins" needs to complain to his George Soros handlers of his poor preparation to make a case. Then again, they probably can't be too choosy on the level of intelligence in the pool of people they have to work with - IOW, they are taking what they can get. Eventually they may realize it only hurts their agenda to put people like him out here, but they have blinders on anyway, so it may take them a while, but eventually the chickens will have come home to roost.

Bill Putney