TORQUING HEADS 3.0?

I had my heads machined because of a leak and I'm ready to put the 96 Caravan back together. The question is what to do to the head bolts before I tighten them. The guy at the machine shop said to pump a drop or two on the threads and let them drip dry the best they can. Another mechanic says he puts a little liquid wrench on the threads first. I also read that some people lube the washer on top and bottom and some say don't lube the washer at all. I know to torque them at three different lbs. I am going to clean the head bolt holes before I start tighening the bolts.The gaskets are Fel Pro. Any other tips before I start? I only want to do it once. The engine only had 73,000 miles. I also bought a crank seal and a new water pump. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Murf 013

Why did you retorque? Did you find the same torque reading or did they need to be turned more?

I'm curious because I did some work on my 3.0 and it works fine without the retorque. I was told by an old salt I know that there was no need to retorque on these engines (3.0 Mits). I'm the nervous type when I'm in new territory. :)

Ric

Reply to
Ric

With the FEL-PRO gasket you do NOT need to retorque the bolts. Wirebrush the threads and a few drops of oil on them should work fine when getting ready to torque them.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr