Town & Country 2003 Transmission

Recently purchased a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country and at 4,000 miles, the transmission has developed a clunk and jerking as it decellerates and downshifts at about 20 mph. Dealer has had it for four days and thinks it is related to the computer software controlling the transmission, but isn't sure. They had to send away for new software.

Anyone else with this problem?

Reply to
John B

Problem not fixed by first dealer, so I took it to a second dealer who fixed it in an hr. It needed an adjustment to the trans computer software. Smooth downshifting now.

Reply to
John B

I have the same problem in my 2002 eX model plus it does not go into reverse (sometimes) in the morning or occasionally not into drive. What compounds the problem is that I live in Germany (shipped the car over) and the eX model is not sold in Germany. I have had the vehicle in 4 times now and it is going back next week. They first put in a new transmission - didn't fix it. Then they figured out it was the transmission computer. It has been reprogrammed and also replaced. The problem goes away each time we pick it up but comes back within a month. Has anyone experienced these problems recurring? Clunk and jerking plus not going into reverse or drive in the morning? If you have a mechanic that knows how to fix this I would love to have him/her email the solution to my German Daimler-Chrysler dealer.

Reply to
Steve VB

I had the same problem on my new 2003 GC, rough downshift and not engaging D or R sometimes. There is a Technical Service Bulletin from Chrysler , the front feeding pump needs to changed. If my Dealer has access to this your should also have. I took it ot the dealer they fixed and after that I discovered the TSB, stating exactly what the dealer did, including the labour hours at 5 hours.

decellerates

Reply to
cosza