1996 Town and country transmission problem

Hi, everyone. I've got a 1996 town and country LXi, the problem is that whenever it is put into gear it stalls. It will idle fine in park or in nuetral but then stalls as soon as it is put into gear. It sat in our driveway for a couple of weeks before we had the $$ to get it towed to a shop. when the tow truck driver tried to move it out of the drive it started and went into gear just fine. At the repair shop the problem recurred. They told me that the torque converter clutch was locked and the first thing to try was to replace the solenoid pack as it was also sticking. I had them replace that and the first time they ran it it went into gear and was fine but then the problem came back and wont go away again. It is now at a transmission shop and after taking the pan off they are telling me I need a new transmission.

I've read about the problems with using an incorrect transmission fluid and was wondering if this might be the cause and would be an easier/cheaper fix. We had the transmission rebuilt once already (2 years ago, it was on a warranty then so we didn't have to pay for it so it wasn't an issue then).

If anyone has any input I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to avoid spending almost $2000 if I can. On the other hand I dont want to keep trying diffent things and ending up spending several hundred $$ before getting it rebuilt anyway.

thanks in advance

Dave

Reply to
Dave Vick