Toyota Corolla over heating when the AC is turned on!

I have a Corolla ee90 12 Valve car. Sometimes (not always) regardless of weather condition (hot or cold) my car's tepm gauge climbs to 3/4th level and remain static for a while (although significantly below the redzone) when I turn on the AC. However, the car doesnt seem to loose power or doesnt effect cooling at all. Still it should not cross the half way mark on the temp gauge. I have checked without the thermostat, cleaned the radiator, refilled coolent, changed the radiator cap and both the fans are in goodworking condition except they turn at half speed when I turn on the AC and go into full blust when the temp gauge pass the half mark. I guess the fans relay is programmed that way. However, without AC temp gauge never goes beyond half mark no matter how hot the day is. Can anybody come up with any suggestion of my observation? Pls comment.

Reply to
aims

Not sure why you are posting to a Chrysler group, but...

Due to the way Japanese car radiators are constructed (very narrow tubes, very fine spacing of external fins), this is classic behavior of a Japanese car when the radiator becomes marginal (due to partial internal tube clogging or external fin corrosion and/or clogging with dirt/bugs). The radiator capacity is reduced so it does fine under normal load, but turning on the a.c. puts an additional load on it that pushes it beyond its degraded limit to provide cooling. Do not attempt to have it rodded or otherwise unclogged - often disasterous and it will never be back up to anywhere near original capacity.

Replace with a new radiator - they're cheap these days and stocked in warehouses always within 1 day shipping by ground. I promise you that is the fix.

Bill Putney

Take it to your nearest Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer and have it replaced with something more stylish and more reliable.

Thanks, Scott

aims wrote:

Reply to
Scott Moseman

LOL Lushy

Reply to
David

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. Thats the only thing left to do. But it still confuse me because its not a regular event when I turn on the AC. My radiator fins are fine no debris or bugs. Air passed through nicely. There may be internal clogging. However, i am thinking on another thing that when I turn on the AC both the fans (condenser & Rad) circles at half speed, its blows at full power when the temp gauge hit half way mark then fall back to half speed as the enginess temp comes down less than half. Could this be a reason for higher temp?

aims

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
aims

Not sure. It may be operating correctly, i.e., a.c. forces fans on at half speed, and they go to full when the temperature sensors order it. But I don't knoe that for sure. I'm still thinking radiator.

May I politely suggest you post to a Toyota forum? I just happen to know something of classic Japanese radiator problems having owned, driven, and maintained a Subaru with turbo for 275k miles.

Bill Putney