transmission trouble?

I have a 96 Chrysler Cirrus with autotrans and only 85,000 miles on it and it's doing something weird. Almost two years ago while going up a fwy onramp it kicked into passing gear and wouldn't come out of it. I pulled off the fwy (not at all sure if I smelled something like burned paint) and turned off the key. Started it up again and all seemed fine.... till tonight. It did pretty much the same thing again only twice tonight in fwy traffic. I was slowing to a crawl and the next time I accelerated it was in passing gear (2nd?) and would come out until I stopped the car and turned off the ignition. It did seem warmer in the car but maybe it was my imagination. I'm not sure if I should take it to a chrysler dealer to inspect it or straight to a tranny shop. By the way I later drove home from my destination (30 miles) and it ran ok.

Fluid level seems fine and is chrysler type fluid. Any ideas what might be happening?

Yks

Reply to
yksmir

jdoe

Is it Chrysler type fluid or Chrysler fluid. Big difference. Non Chrysler fluid should be drained and replaced with chrysler fluid and no additives.

Reply to
Art

I'll check the bottles but I believe its the 7176 type fluid i bought at Pep Boys.

Art wote:

Reply to
yksmir

The fluid was correct. The Chrysler shop has also checked the fluid, pulled the pan and said there were no error codes. Wouldn't there have to be an error code if the car goes into "limp" mode? The mechanic said the test drive was just fine. I have no idea what it could be however, the catalytic converter is shot and rattling like crazy.... it is being replaced as we speak. ( I was told this a couple months ago too by another shop). Could this have sent the car into limp mode without an error code? Strange, and now I worry about reliability on the road. yks

yksmir wote:

Reply to
yksmir