where is the feul filter?

My knowledge is only limited to adding windshield wiper, inflating tires and jump start for dead battery. Is it something I can handle to change fuel filter on my 1999 T&C?

This car is at 101K miles now and it pick up much slower than before. It takes longer to change gear from one to two or two to three if I apply accelerator normally. The only way to change gear to pick up speed quick is to step hard. Dealer claimed the O2 sensor is bad, but it does not improve after that.

What else should I look at?

Reply to
harry

Did the dealer scan it, and did it have any fault codes? Where do you live and where do you normally buy gas, and who from?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I guess the dealer might have scanned it and decided the O2 sensor is bad but I am not sure because it is my wife's van. We typically left the van overnight and then dealer call in the next morning to tell what needs to be done.

We generally fill gas at local Sunoco or Shell station. We know dealer charge more but we feel better at least we know they will put OEM parts to whatever repaired. My conclusion is if someone does not know car, don't buy American made. Two Chrysler van and one Ford, I should have learned enough...

Reply to
harry

O2 sensors typically don't last that much beyond 100K. So, replacing that sensor wasn't a bad start. Also, the sensors often get lazy and you will see a failing sensor on a scope before you can feel it in the seat of your pants.

Of course I'm assuming you have already checked the obvious stuff like the air cleaner filter isn't clogged.

If the engine feels like it's bogged down or doggy, in years past you would say the timing was off, either a chain or belt jumped a tooth, or the distributor advance was broken, and you would check that first. That was what a real live tuneup consisted of.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
tim bur

Of course, to do that they have to be more complex, have multiple sensors, in short, cost more. As opposed to replacing the $10 sensor at 100K now we replace multiple $100 sensors at 200K? I think I liked the old way better, the new way sounds like regression, not advancement! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt