Citroen in the News

A British man has spent four hours holding a rusty piece of metal he feared was an unexploded World War Two bomb that would detonate if he let go only to be told he had been cradling part of an old car.

British newspapers say David Page spoke to an emergency operator on his mobile phone, as police, fire and ambulance crews rushed to the east England workyard where the terrified 40-year-old had dug up the device.

He says the police operator kept telling him everything would be okay, but he had to remind her she was not the one holding the bomb.

The drama ended when army disposal experts turned up and told him the bomb was actually part of the hydraulic suspension system from a Citroen.

Also

:-D

Reply to
2Rowdy

snip

I saw pictures on the BBC TV news; you can see why he thought it was a grenade or something (metal casing with a spring-loaded lever) - but you have to wonder, if he thought that, why did he pick it up and then squeeze the lever? Apparently, he managed to get some sticky tape to bind his hand to the thing so that his thumb wouldn't slip off the lever - so why not just use the tape and release his hand entirely? Not someone to rely on in a crisis!

Reply to
Whiskers

So which bit actually was it?

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Seems to suggest a sphere, but the spring loaded lever?

CAS

Reply to
CAS

CAS ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Made up? Some reports say the "button" - which would be the filling plug.

Reply to
Adrian

Message i.d.:, by author CAS aka inspired me,

This puzzeles me

The bowling ball-sized item was later found to be part of a hydraulic suspension system from a car or a tractor.

Tractor? Are those spheres also used on tractors?

Reply to
2Rowdy
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, they are. JCB's Fastrac uses Cit hydraulics under licence. I suspect, though, that it's more a case of "well, it was found on a farm, so it's probably tractor" from the same journo that invented the spring loaded lever...

Reply to
Adrian

Message i.d.:, by author Adrian aka inspired me,

Haha, there is logic in that :-)

Reply to
2Rowdy

snip

Perhaps an unrelated bit of scrap metal? That article does say 'button', so there's obviously some confusion somewhere.

Reply to
Whiskers

Well, the incident occurred about 5 miles down the road from where I live, and this ain't Kansas, it is Norfolk ;)

Reply to
hissing

You should be more careful where you drop your spheres :-)

Reply to
2Rowdy

hissing ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ght... Have you been disposing of any spheres lately?

There's a difference? Flat, inbred, odd accent, backwards...

Reply to
Adrian

Message i.d.:, by author Adrian aka inspired me,

That's why you hid in Dakar?

Reply to
2Rowdy
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ellie went to Uni in Norwich, but that's about as far as my link to the place goes.

"Toto! I don't think we're in the fens any more..."

Reply to
Adrian

Message i.d.:, by author Adrian aka inspired me,

Euh, there's a military college there, ,

Norwich seems like a nice place.

see on bicycle distance. Must be worth a visit.Come to think about it, what's a norwitch?

:-)

Reply to
2Rowdy
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Probably.

seems more likely...

You've never been there, have you?

Reply to
Adrian

Message i.d.:, by author Adrian aka inspired me,

Aah.

No. But if I would go it would be on vacation. And during a vacation I like anything. Even the roadblock I caused with my BX in Grasse, France. Makes great tales :-) I even liked Tilshead (at least I think I was there). That's a place where there is nothing for miles around.

Reply to
2Rowdy

Norwich is a pretty decent place (actually, it must be as it has a decent Citroen main dealer with people who knew what I was burbling on about when I was asking questions about my Activa over the phone!) it could be much worse though, it could be up north!

Reply to
hissing

My brother saw the "bomb" on the tele and apparently it looked exactly like a suspension sphere, the guy said he removed a plastic cap from the end which I guess must have been the cover to stop dirt getting into the sphere or the threads getting damaged. He then says he pressed the "button".....

Reply to
hissing

hissing ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It'll have been recharged at some stage, then, with a one-way valve replacing the plug, and a dirt cover over the valve.

Reply to
Adrian