Four hours later...

and the passenger's side front brakes are done. The caliper on that side wasn't any better than the other one, I don't know why is wasn't sticking! Looks like I order another new caliper Monday...I did manage to get it to work; slider stuck like the other side.

I can't bear to pay someone to do my brakes, but I am getting tired of doing it on jack stands, lying on the ground on a hot summer day. But, rotors were $80, caliper was $39, pads were $18. I can't see paying $140 for the same rotors, $39 for the same pads, $75 for the same caliper, and then paying $150 for someone who, with a lift, will get the same job done in 45 minutes or less...

Reply to
Hachiroku

First of all, I admire you for your energy, knowledge and aptitude. Second, I can tell you're younger than I am. :-) I used to be a whiz at tuning the dual SU carbs on my Volvo and at keeping my TR3 purring. Now I rely on others and tell myself it's a sign of wisdom to defer to the more capable.

But when it comes to satisfaction, wisdom's no match for scrubbing up after a tough job well done.

Brent "It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Brent

Twin SU's on a Volvo, eh? THe only V I ever owned had an early Motronic... '73 1800ES. And a TR3? Setting the carbs was fun, eh? Not only that, but you got "Lucas Disease" to boot!Yeah, but once they were set...

True...very true. And from the looks of things, I'll be scrubbing up a few more times!

Borrowed from "The Wind and The WIllows": "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in cars."

Reply to
hachiroku

NAPA has rotors for like $20 each, same as the expensive ones at most stores. Where did you the calipers for $40?

Reply to
Josh

I got the premium rotors from the CarQuest where I used to work. The manager still gives me a discount. He gave me the domestic rotors cause the Chinese ones either come pre-warped or warp in a few week's time.

The caliper I got from Toyota. I get a discount for being an employee.

I've been in the 'car business' for about 4 years now, I get discounts on just about anything I need. I also talked to a customer I used to mix paint for at CarQuest, for about $2000 I'm going to have the rust work done and the thing repainted. I'll buy the paint from CarQuest, too. (R&M/BASF Diamont)

Reply to
hachiroku

Reply to
Wolfgang

They are genuine Toyota REMAN'D...

Reply to
hachiroku

Thats a great deal on calipers, I should have you buy me 4 new ones :)

Reply to
Josh

Find out how much a set of 4 are for a 1994 MR2 2.2L :)

Reply to
Josh