Rusty transmission dip stick

I have a 1.5 yr. old GMC Envoy with a rusty transmission dip stick. I can see flakes of rust deposit all along its length, and they are falling off as I pulled the stick out of the tube. I have never seen anything like this. Anyone has similar experience ? I don't know if the tube is also rusted. This car has been well kept in a garage out of rain and moisture.

Reply to
DL

I've never seen this but it sounds like you may have a leak in the in-radiator cooler that's allowing water to enter the transmission. I would take it back to the dealer and let them check it out under the warranty. Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 10:01am From: snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com (DL) I have a 1.5 yr. old GMC Envoy with a rusty transmission dip stick. I can see flakes of rust deposit all along its length, and they are falling off as I pulled the stick out of the tube. I have never seen anything like this. Anyone has similar experience ? I don't know if the tube is also rusted. This car has been well kept in a garage out of rain and moisture.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

We had a Clark Fork Lift truck that the dipstick would rust on, caused by water in the oil from lack of use. One dipstick even rusted in half.

Is your dispstick sealing at the top of the tube?

Try giving it a light coating of grease the full legnth of the dipstick.

Good Luck.

Harry Face

Reply to
Harry Face

Yes, it has a locking cap which I suppose keeps moisture out. The rust is not just surface rust, but rather like bits of rust that are loosely attached. I think I will take it to the dealer for a look.

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
DL

Moisture and/or acids in the trans. Better have it looked at before it eats the trans. Common problem in _engines_ that don't get heated up or have leaks. I've never seen that in a trans though.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Is the Blazer version? With the 4.3 v-6 engine? What year is the vehicle?

We had issues with the transmission tubes and dipsticks rusting. Here is an old bulletin that may apply. If your vehicle is only a couple of years old, this should have been addressed by now.

RUSTY TRANS. FLUID LEVEL INDICATOR (REPLACE INDICATOR) #86-71-17 - (Jun 26,

1998) SUBJECT: RUSTY TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL INDICATOR (REPLACE INDICATOR)

MODELS: 1995-98 CHEVROLET AND GMC S/T MODELS 1996-98 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA WITH M30 TRANSMISSION

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT ABOUT RUST ON THE TRANSMISSION FLUID INDICATOR.

CAUSE:

CONDITION MAY BE CAUSED FROM WATER ENTERING THROUGH THE INDICATOR UPPER TUBE SEAL.

CORRECTION:

ENGINEERING HAS RELEASED A NEW INDICATOR WITH AN IMPROVED SEAL AND CORROSION RESISTANT METAL INDICATOR. REPLACE THE OLD INDICATOR WITH THE NEW INDICATOR. USE THE PART NUMBER LISTED BELOW.

PARTS INFORMATION:

P/N DESCRIPTION QTY 15033543 INDICATOR, TRANS. FLUID 1 LEVEL (LN2) 15033544 INDICATOR, TRANS. FLUID 1 LEVEL (LF6/L35)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Yeah....what about em?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Any risk of contamination and damage?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

The rusty flakes are probably stuck in the filter by this time.

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

See Harry's response.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Got it. Filter will be the safety net. :)

Reply to
SgtSilicon