electric car

is there still some electric saxo's or 106's out there?

Reply to
Tina Andersen

Tina Andersen ( snipped-for-privacy@galnet.dk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not many, I'd expect.

There was an electric Berlingo on eBay a year or so ago.

Five years old, 50,000 miles, good nick, clean, unbattered. A diesel van like that would be worth a couple of grand.

Nobody bid on this, starting at a few hundred quid.

Why? Because it needed new batteries. They'd just come to the end of their working lives.

So why not replace 'em? Because the Citroen parts price for a battery set for an Electric Berlingo is... Fifteen Thousand Pounds - yes, nearly twice a new diesel Berlingo.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:Xns989F92350EE66adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170:

But we're all supposed to be willing to throw away thousands of pounds to reduce our carbon footprint (generating our own electricity, throwing out our old cars/boilers/fridges etc...), even at the cost of vastly increasing our lead/steel/plastics footprint. The ultimate expression of this can be seen in Japanese scrapyards. They have very high maintenance costs for cars - parts, mechanics and so on, and have very strict emmissions rules - the result? Whole cars only a couple of years old are scrapped - too much CO(2) etc...

I currently run a 17 year old car. It's well maintained, so performs the best it can for fuel consumption etc... It's still well behind a new Fiesta for emissions etc... but two Fiestas would have been dead and gone in that time. Do I get any credit for the energy and materials I've saved in the manufacture of two new cars or for the energy used to dispose of them (no to mention the toxic waste)? Nope.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

performs the

dispose of

Why wouldn't a 17 year old, well maintained, Fiesta not have survived? I think the basses of what you say above is very true but it applies to any car - with the possible exception of real 'gas guzzlers' such as the Mk1 XJ6, older Citroens and Merc's etc.

Reply to
Jerry

I don't think that was the point that Dave was making - we are all supposed to be good consumers and scrap the old cars and all have new ones to the latest specs. The 17 year old Fiestas should not exist, they should be scrapped after say five years to make sure we _all_ have the newer 'greener' ones.

Reply to
Peter Chant

Jerry ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It'd be rotten. Far more so than a 17yo AX.

Ford have been very slow in stopping their small cars rotting - it's only the current shape Fester that they seem to have got it right on, and the Ka is still bad.

Reply to
Adrian

it's only

Funny that, I've seen many rotten AX's too, perhaps you don't consider bodywork as being part of the vehicle when it comes to maintaining it well?...

Reply to
Jerry

Your 17 year old is but a youngster :-) How many Fiesta's would have been made to replace my 1970 Land Rover, I wonder? Plus, considering the Landie was hand crafted rather than mass produced it's carbon footprint was very low indeed when manufactured. The old girl is far more eco-friendly than your modern euro-box.

Reply to
SteveG

well said.sod these eletric car ok for london to run in and out maybe woman should have them for school runs?

Reply to
Chris

But not until we have carbon a neutral (or at least friendly) electricity generation network and 'clean' batteries, until then all that is happening is that people are moving the pollution location. Fine if you want to reduce smog but it does nothing to the over all pollution levels - well not much anyway.

Reply to
Jerry

I was reading , made by the entity known as Jerry, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

You see rotten AX -es since they are there, they survived. The Fiesta didn't.

Reply to
2Rowdy

made

Fiesta

I see many rotten Fiestas too. Badly maintained car bodywork is a rotten steel box on wheels, what ever it is....

Reply to
Jerry

I was reading , made by the entity known as Jerry, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

True. But be honest, you see more rotten AX-es then Fiestas :-)

Reply to
2Rowdy

Couldn't agree more. Just goes to show that the UK Government's arguments are completely bogus and simply a ruse for hiking taxes for the motorist ... again!

Reply to
SteveG

Jerry ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, you see battered AXs. Not rotten ones.

Of the many things they die of, rot ain't one.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, forgot that one of the groups I was posting to is the Citroen 'anoraks' group....

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote in news:458a5768$0$97250$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Have you seen a 17 year old fiesta? There's not many of them left, and most are on their last legs.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

Peter Chant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@petezilla.co.uk:

But you do usually need something a bit meatier than a fiesta to last the course. Let's face it, they didn't build 1.1 or even 1.4 litre engines in the eighties to go much further than 70-100k. You need a 2.0 engine at least to be sure of breezing through the 100k mile mark - There are exceptions, of course - we had a 20 year old 1.0 polo recently for driving practice, and it was well battered, but still going! If there is a reliable exception to needing a decent sized engine, it's usually VW.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

SteveG wrote in news:Dyvih.19659$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

hear hear.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

"Jerry" wrote in news:458aa800$0$97229$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Come on, surely lead and acid seaping into the water table is good for us! ;-)

Reply to
Dave Ryman