Exhaust broke away from muffler - urgency of repair?

Citroen Saxo X

Yesterday, my exhaust pipe broke clean away from the "block" at the end (is that the muffler? The catalytic convertor? I don't know. The big filter bit that is at the end of the exhaust).

It makes a right bloody racket now! I tried getting it fixed today, but Hi-Q couldn't do the job and I didn't have time to try another garage.

What's the urgency of this? It sounds awful, but is it doing any damage? Gulping fuel? Fouling the engine somehow?

Can I afford to drive to and from work (30 minutes twice a day) for a few days while I look for somewhere to repair it?

Reply to
Toby

I doubt it will do any serious damage but it might affect economy a little if the engine/ECU expects a bit of back pressure. You've got to be careful that the exhaust is supported sufficiently otherwise you might stress other bits of the system leading to drop off. The traffic cops might show a bit more interest in you as well.

Reply to
Malc

could it hav broken around o2/lambda sensor area. this may cause a few issues from the ecu. would use more fuel. but aslong as you get iot sorted as quick as you can you should be fine.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Trying ATS and KwikFit this lunchtime. The damned thing is giving me a headache on my morning commute :D

Reply to
Toby

I've taken it to two garages now (ATS and Hi-Q) and both say that they cannot do it. Aparrently, the exhaust pipe is unusually narrow and they don't have the parts to fit it.

ATS suggested that my car may be an import. I didn't think it was, but they say they do Saxos all the time and have never seen this before.

I'm taking it to the Citroen dealership today - hopefully they will not sting me too badly.

I didn't expect it to be this difficult!

Reply to
Toby

Ended up getting it done at an independant garage. £130. Citroen dealership wanted in excess of £250! For an exhaust??!

Reply to
Toby

Sounds about right. £130 is ok tho :)]

Rob