96 jetta exhaust questions

Mother in law has 2.0L 96 jetta and her exhaust partially fell apart yesterday. She has 120K on it and possibly original throughout. The pipe that goes over the frame member before the center exhaust broke and the pipe going into the rear exhaust also broke. Both are obviously rusted and the rear oval muffler is obviously shot. My question involves the center clamshell muffler. The pipes going into it are rusted but the unit and the pipe exiting look OK from the outside. Can anyone tell me if these center clamshell units last longer than the rear muffler? She is on a very tight budget. My advice is that if one is rusted and has lasted 120K, the other is soon to follow. I also do not know if the shop will be able to weld a new pipe on the inlet of the center unit. Any BTDT? Thanx in advance. Also any idea what she can expect to spend at the typical muffler shop for replacement? thanx, andy

Reply to
andy

Probably they can't/won't try to save the center muffler.

Expect to pay about $400 for the whole system.

Reply to
Dave

I was quoted $151.2 (£84) to have the centre silencer and rear silencer replaced. Although the rear silencer looks fine and was quoted that about 4 months ago. Still holding on, but don't think will for much longer with all this grit on the roads.

Reply to
Joe

I was suprised to find on my 95 2.0 Golf that the suitcase and rear muffler are actually one piece. The replacements are separate, but the part they put on at the factory is one piece, ie, there is no joint in the connecting pipe. There is a bulge in the connecting pipe where you can cut it and fit in a new part, but it would be a lot of trouble and much better, in my opinion, to buy both new. I paid a little over $200 for Bosal replacement parts including new hangers, clamps, etc. They were exact copies of the original equipment but seem to be rusting much more quickly - which doesn't surprise me. I got them from thepartsbin.com.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin

Reply to
andy

If that's out the door, that's not bad. Most aftermarket cat-backs are about $200-250 just for the parts so if she walked out with them installed for that price, that's fine.

Reply to
Matt B.