Xantia air con refill query

Hi All,

Can any of you chaps tell me where the AC recharge port is on my 99 Xantia hdi estate? I've had a good look around the engine bay and followed the pipes from the compressor but I cannot see anything obvious?

yours hopefully

Steve

Reply to
drd

I cant even find the compressor on my 98 Xantia TD SX.... Im told the lo-side port for refill is on the metal pipe that goes from the elusive compressor to the dashboard through the bulkhead. Haynes tells me my compressor is above the alternator but it isnt, I have found the drier bottle. Help us two overheated drivers someone!

Reply to
Nashdom

On the 1.9TD it's under the engine at the front. Bugger I can't find the Haynes BOL and I don't own the Xant any more. ANyway from what I can remember the compressor was driven off the same belt that does the alternator and on the 1.9 is on the driver's side behind the radiator about level with the foglight cutouts. The filling points are on the pipes leading from/to the comprtessor and only one will fit the a/c recharge cannister.

Of course this may be of no use to you at all given that you've got a HDi.

Reply to
Malc

Malc, thanks very much. Thats helped me anyway, Googling reveals nothing and the Haynes is Cr*p. Ill try not to dump the contents of the a/c charger on my head seeing as it seems Im going to be underneath. Mark.

Reply to
Nashdom

The compressor is obvious enough on the Hdi, as are most of the two pipes before they disappear into the dash on the LHS scuttle ... I'll have another close look tomorrow ...

It seems I have to buy two Haynes manuals to cover the engine and body of my Xant ... I have the engine manual but the body book is not available in this country !!!!?????

Reply to
drd

On my Xsara HDI it was behind the nearside (LH) of the radiator, at headlight level. It is a black plastic cap about15mm dia. which you unscrew to reveal the charge point. It is fixed at right angles to one of the metal pipes by the drier bottle. On my current 307 HDI it is on the offside behind the headlight.

Reply to
Brian

All,

I found the connectors on the metal portion of the pipes where they connect to the AC compressor.

The system appears to be at the correct pressure (25-30psi) and so doesn't need topping up ...

Were 99 Xantia estates known to have feeble AC? (Its deffo cooling the air but fails to generate the icy blast I've seen in other cars?)

If anyone wants an un-used AC top up from Halfords for velly good plice drop me a line ...

ATB

Steve

Reply to
drd

When I bought my Xantia the AC did not work. I checked pressures and they were fine. I went ahead and purged the system and recharged. It worked perfectly.

Maybe you just need it refreshed.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Mine was fine until it started to leak. When I initially got the car it was u/s and I had it refilled and then fettled with and it was fine. I had it refilled after two years but since that refill the compressor started leaking and although it was cool it never really recovered the same degree of coolth. I topped it up before I sold the car as the pressure had dropped to where it was not working and it was quite good but again never quite as good as the first time.

Reply to
Malc