Xantia high speed misfire

have had my 1997 Xantia 2 litre 16 valve from new, no done abound 70000 miles. It runs perfectly under normal operation, acceleration and fuel consumption perfectly ok. However, as soon as the engine speed reaches 3200 rpm it misfires badly with loss of further power irrespective of which gear it is in.

I am reluctant to take it to Citroen dealer to have it plugged into their computer if it is something obvious but at the moment have no idea what could be the cause. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Whitton

ignition coil breaking down - I almost guarantee it (as long as it's a petrol)

RT

Reply to
news

news ( snipped-for-privacy@news.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Erm...

Reply to
Adrian

I notice you didn't either know the answer or, if you did, didn't help the OP. and if I hadn't have qualified it with '(as long as it's a petrol)' some twunt would have made a lame comment.

oh, wait, you just did. the prosecution gently rests it's case.

Reply to
news

news ( snipped-for-privacy@news.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm making no comment on the original problem. I don't know either 16v lump that well - and I'll assume this is the post-first-facelift "mild" 135bhp instead of the early "hot" 160bhp, purely because of numbers out there.

But anyway it doesn't sound coil to me - a coil breakdown would normally be heat-related not merely rev related. Not sure what it does sound like, which is why I didn't throw anything in. If forced to speculate, I'd probably look towards the fuel system.

I'm merely pointing out that the OP did indeed specify that it was a petrol, albeit indirectly.

The only 2.0 diesel Xant is the HDi, which is (IIRC) an 8v anyway, and I'd sure the OP would have said "HDi" instead of 2.0 16v - not that the . Equally, I'm sure he'd have said "1.9D", "TurboD" or "2.1TD" (which was the only multivalve D in Xants, with a 12v head, since it's the XM lump) if it had been any of the other diseasels.

Here, have your rattle back. You seem to have thrown it quite far.

Reply to
Adrian

oh, really ? and what happens when a failing coil has current passed through it ?

it gets hot. (and the OP did say it was rev related)

FWIW I've had several coils fail on motorbikes and the symptoms are 'it's ok up to x revs then loses all power' I've also had the same symptoms on a few cars but not for years as I only drive diesels these days.

the OP should also check the condensor.

Reply to
news

news ( snipped-for-privacy@news.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The temperature is not linearly related to revs. It builds gradually and subsides gradually. Like any heat-soak related problem.

I've had coils fail, too. EVERY one has been fine across the rev range until they reach a certain critical temperature at which point they break down completely causing a total loss of spark on the affected cylinder(s).

I've had it happen on "normal" coils. I've had it happen on double-ended wasted-spark coils. I've had it happen on coil packs. All have failed in the same way. Unlike the OPs description.

Indeed. If it has a condensor, then the OP should check the badge on the back and check the shape of the car against a photo of a Xant, because somebody's sold him a pup.

You really HAVE been driving diseasels for far too long.

The Xant doesn't even have a *distributor*, let alone points or condensor. They don't even have just one coil - they have a coil pack triggered directly by the ECU, which is driven from a crank position sensor together with various other sensors to tell the engine where on the engine map it should pick the ignition and fuelling settings from.

Reply to
Adrian

news ( snipped-for-privacy@news.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're the one giving duff information without actually having a clue what you're on about, then getting very shirty when called on it.

Reply to
Adrian

do you know if it is the coil ? no, then you don't know if the /suggestion/ I gave is right or wrong, do you ? you're reading too much into simple text if you think this is shirty, and you're still called adrian.

blame your mum

Reply to
news

news ( snipped-for-privacy@news.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I didn't say it was or it wasn't. I just said it didn't sound like it.

I DO know that a 2.0 16v Xant is petrol, and I DO know that it doesn't have a condenser, though.

(And I'm also mature enough not to think setting followups to childishly named non-existant groups is particularly funny.)

Reply to
Adrian