Re: 1963 C10 engine code & Electronic Ignition

Casting #'s section

has a link to

which has this information:

1967-72
Reply to
The Devil's Thirst®

I remebered about these also:

60-66 truck buyer's guide:

60-66 Manuals guide:

-tdt®

Reply to
The Devil's Thirst®

The 235 engine was last used in cars and trucks in 1962. The 1963 model year base engine was the 230 inch 6 for the small trucks. The 292 was optional. Both are derived from the same basic engine design which is nothing at all like the old 236 / 261 engines. The side covers on a 230 are approx 4 inches tall and the 292 covers are approx 6 inches tall. Thats is the quickest way to see if it is a 292 or one of the smaller 6's.

An HEI distributer from the mid 70's 250 / 292 engine will drop right in. Avoid any of the very late HEI's that don't have a vacuum advance diaphragm as these must be run with a computer control engine management system.

I just bought a 63 C10 and the engine code on it is 3994257. The motor is a strait 6. Does anyone know what engine this is???? Also does anyone know if there is an electronic iginition that would fit this application?

Thanks,

-- Posted using the

interface, at author's requestArticles individually checked for conformance to usenet standardsTopic URL:
Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Rufus T. Firefly

about 30 years ago I had a 66 chevy 3/4 ton that had a factory 250 in it that I got at a estate sale. That truck was one tuff old bird but with few creature comforts too.

Reply to
SnoMan

I do not believe I would do that with that old a truck engine (even if rebuilt) because the old conventional distributor had a lot more generous built in mechanical advance as well as vacum too. The newer HEI ones with emission friendly and not good for overall performance in a older non smog engine.

Reply to
SnoMan

Are you looking for something like this?

Ignition & Ignitor II Automotive Applications

ptx05_auto.pdf / 574 kb size

informaiton below from the above document.

1974-63
Reply to
The Devil's Thirst®