180 barnfinds at once...

It seems somebody 'found' a barn in Portugal with 180 classic cars in it. They've been gathering dust and bird poo behind welded shut doors for decades.

Pictures on

From the look of it, some are extremely rare and could be quite valuable.

Reply to
Yippee

That has to be *the* mother of all barn finds. Thanks for posting the link.

Still having fun trying to figure out what all of them are...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark realised it was Sun, 28 Jan 2007

09:01:51 -0500 and decided it was time to write:

It's quite treausre trove, isn't it?

The page is obsolete, since the links to the photographs are now all broken. Luckily, I could rescue them from my browser cache and build a mirror:

Enjoy!

Reply to
Yippee

This would make a whole years worth of Classic & Sportscar barnfind sections.

What's this car?

Yeah, I'll take the red MCS. :)

Reply to
S1500

Thanks for that - I wasn't getting any joy from the original posting. Some quite interesting Lancias there and what looks like an more or less unused Super Seven?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Series IV (Batman) Seven, though. I'd kill for a *genuine* Lotus Series III Seven.

You can run the site (or its mirror) through Google Translate to get some of the background information. The site is in Spanish, not Portuguese.

Reply to
Dean Dark

S1500 ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net.nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It would, but there's only photos of a VERY small proportion of the 180 - and multiple pics of the same car a few times.

Wonder what the rest is? That black AlfaSud in one shot looks very reasonable. There's a few other interesting oddballs in the corners of various shots, too - like a two-smoke Saab.

Reply to
Adrian

I was trying to work out a date (when the barn was sealed) and I think it would have been either 1970 when Salazar died or more likely in 1974 when the 3rd Republic came to power.

[A family friend (of my parents) lost most of his estate and property following the fall of the New State in Portugal, including his (even then) classic Jaguar, that I never saw and my parents, who had visited his estates, wouldn't have recognised if they'd tripped over it.]

I know Alfasuds first came out in 1974 and the one in the picture looks in remarkable unused condition, but what's the latest date of any car in the photos?

Richard Web pages:

for caravanning,
for my personal web site and
because I love the email address.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Richard Cole ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not a chance.

That ain't a very early Sud, not with plastic bumpers and a hatch.

suggests 1981 at the earliest.

Reply to
Adrian

Richard Cole realised it was Mon, 29 Jan

2007 20:15:01 +0000 and decided it was time to write:

I believe the Peugeot 305 was introduced in about 1979:

There's a slightly crumpled Peugeot 205 there, too:
So judging from what we can see, latest date must be about 1983.

Reply to
Yippee

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

ITYM "Earliest"...

Not even an interesting 205, either - just a 5dr - seems a strange one to salt away as a "future investment" as a fairly minorly bent near-new.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian realised it was 29 Jan 2007 20:34:55 GMT and decided it was time to write:

No, I really mean latest. Earliest date is somewhere in the 1920's.

It's an odd stash. Some very rare and valuable cars with the odd Beetle,

70's merkin barge and worthless wreck in between. All crammed in a barn and left to rot without any effort to preserve them. The interwebs are abuzz with questions, but no answers.

I expect there'll be an auction somewhere soon.

Reply to
Yippee

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, I see our cross-porpoises... I'm thinking in terms of the question - date of sealing. You're thinking in terms of date of cars.

It's Portugal. Shoving 'em out of the sun IS an effort to preserve - they ain't going to rot.

Reply to
Adrian